Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveMobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Washington D.C.
Hey,

I regularly e-mail/chat back and forth with friends in the Netherlands and Germany, so I was wondering if there was a way for me to do a quick system wide language change that could spell-check for me. So, what are those little flags for on my Menu Bar? I have the Dutch, German, and American flags, but I don't notice any changes when I switch between the three. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,
-Steve

SteveMobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Washington D.C.
Changing keyboard layouts? All three languages use the Roman alphabet so I don't know how that would make a difference. Just need the spell-check to check for the respective language I need checked.

Thanks

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
That's what the flag represents: different countries' keyboard layouts. You're not changing the system language. To do that, you'd have to go to  -> System Preferences -> International -> Language, but making changes to that list requires an application restart to take effect. There's no way to change spell check on the fly.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 112
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.