System will be screwed up if I do this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kabunaru, Jun 17, 2008.

1. kabunaru Guest

If I download Firefox and choose to use it as my main browser and then delete Safari, what will happen if I software update my Mac to 10.5.4 with Safari deleted and Firefox installed? Will my system be screwed up from this?
    I am just curious...

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I wouldn't recommend it. I don't have any specific info, but it seems like a bad idea to me. And as stated above, I can't think of a single reasonable benefit that could be gained from deleting Safari. So unless you can tell me some good reason why you'd want to delete it, then you should just leave it on your disk but don't use it.

4. kabunaru thread starter Guest

I guess to save space if I end up liking Firefox more. ;)

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you really need the 65.7 MB of space it would create, then you have bigger problems :)

6. kabunaru thread starter Guest

Oh trust me, I have a lot of stuff on my computer. :)

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

65 MB is insignificant. If you need to reclaim storage space there are MUCH better ways to do it, such as removing the other language packs from the OS. On top of which, it's a bad idea to run your Mac with less than 2 GB of free disk space, so if you're working hard to free up 65 MB then you're probably having worse problems than that.

If your disk is almost full and you need more disk space then there's only one solution. You need to add more disk space. Hard drives are really cheap these days, so unless you don't have the money to spare then there's little reason not to add more disk space. Even if you're on a laptop there are plenty of storage solutions.

8. durija macrumors 6502

A good reason to keep Safari is that once in a blue moon, you might run across a site that doesn't work or doesn't render correctly in FF. It is nice to have at least one other browser installed as a backup/alternative. I regularly use Safari, Firefox and Opera...even IE on my Windows partition, and I like the flexibility.

I don't think Safari is nearly as intertwined into the OS as IE is to Windows, but I would do a lot of research before just deleting it, more than just a casual post on this forum (nice as it is).

I have to agree that if you are hurting for 65MB, you really need to think about jettisoning some of the other dead weight or getting a bigger or external drive.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Then you need a bigger drive, not 65mb of Safari space.