Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
I noticed that my fans on my PowerMac G5 are running a little more than usual while my computer is pretty idle/has very few applications open. I then noticed that the graphs of my CPU usage in iStat go up and down like the spikes on the back of a stegosaurus. I have it pictured here, and sometimes it's more defined... I am wondering why the heck this "SystemUIServer" keeps going in and out of using like 7+% of my CPU and 2% of the CPU. Then there is this other thing I am seeing now called "WindowServer", and that has been spiking around as well. Normally my computer's CPUs barely have any activity at a moderate/idle stat, but that has changed. Anyone know why? I am not running 3rd party Dashboard widgets, and the only foreign thing on my toolbar is iStat menus, which I haven't had issues with before. Any ideas? Thanks!

P.S. Come to think of it, "WindowServer" is beginning to be the largest culprit here, next to "SystemUIServer"!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 221
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 202

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
iStat Menus 2 has a memory leak. Periodically you will want to kill the SystemUIServer process because of this.

Open up terminal and type:
killall SystemUIServer

Your menubar will close then restart. The CPU will return to normal.

You can minimize future problems by not using the clock in iStat Menus.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 13, 2014
iStat Menus 2 has a memory leak. Periodically you will want to kill the SystemUIServer process because of this.

Open up terminal and type:
killall SystemUIServer

Your menubar will close then restart. The CPU will return to normal.

You can minimize future problems by not using the clock in iStat Menus.

I did kill it off and I think by now it's okay. I was thinking it would be something of that sort. Thanks for the info, and I didn't know that the clock would be something to kill off. I will go ahead and do that if it's indeed still up there. The date is wrong on it anyway for some reason. xD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.