Systtem Shutdown. HANGS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wakerider017, Mar 26, 2008.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

When ever I turn off my iMac (AL mid-2007 running 10.5) it seems like it hangs during shutdown...

It takes about 60 seconds to shutdown and after about 30 seconds it starts to show.

It looks like this, except it still shows my wallpaper... (This is just an image I found on the web).

[​IMG]

I am not sure why it is taking so long to shutdown lately... I don't remember it taking nearly this long in the past...

Here is a photo of everything that is running during shutdown and it still does it. (I usually try to close out of apps before shutting down).

[​IMG]

What do you think?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Nothing looks unusual in that Activity Monitor image. Typically, long shutdowns are caused by some application or process that is holding up the shutdown process by taking a while to stop running. One way to identify offending processes is to look at your Console and read through the log entries just before the shutdown. Console can be found in your Utilities folder.

3. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

i also have this problem ever since leopard was installed (upon clean installation)

4. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I restarted my computer and here is a picture of the console log since the restart. Computer was running for about 1 minute when I took the screen...

[​IMG]

What is the deal with internet sharing?

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Internet Sharing appears to be the problem. In System Preferences, under Sharing, there's a setting for this. If you don't use it, turn it off.

6. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Ya I turned that off.. Not sure why it was sending those messages in console?
    Is that normal? (I have a feeling it is supposed to be doing that).

Anyway that did not solve my problem. I have a VERY VERY strong notion that the problem lies with Elgato EyeTV 3 software.

That is the only thing I have installed on my computer in weeks... And the problem started right around the time I installed it

Also upon further inspection of my console log I see these series of events just before shutdown:

[​IMG]

Looks like it took about 90 seconds to shutdown my computer (from 12:16:29, the time I instructed a shutdown, to 12:18:12, the time it actually shutdown) while Elgato was messing around with stuff.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Looking at that log, I strongly suspect you are right.

8. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I have been messing around with it for the past few minutes.

And now it is shutting down consistently in 30 seconds vs 90 seconds.

Only thing I did was force quit Eyetv Helper in the system monitor (about 10 restarts ago).

Odd.

Problem will probably return, but I will just wait for an update.. Not the end of the world.

9. gtimark macrumors member

Not to go off topic :D , but where did you find "activity monitor?" Is that in Leopard?? Thanks!

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It's in your Utilities folder, which is inside your Applications folder.

11. gtimark macrumors member

12. Eluzion macrumors 6502

My Macbook Pro just sat there with a blank screen (wallpaper) when shutting down. I waited a good 15 minutes but it wasn't doing anything and the hard drive sounded like it was just idle. Had to force it off with the power button. Seems to have been kind of a one time thing.

13. schlueter62 macrumors newbie

Same problem

I am also having this problem. During shut down the applications disappear from the screen but the wallpaper remains with the spinning wheel. Is there something in particular I should look for in the activity log to determine what is causing the problem? I suspect (without looking at the log) that it will be the HP printer scanner. I've been having issues with it as well (send something to the printer and nothing happpens).

14. Marx55 macrumors 65816