T/B display Macmini VS imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Dyn-tec, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Dyn-tec macrumors member

Of course we don't have prices out yet for the imac....but how does this layout look for what I created with a mini Mac and thunderbolt?

What drawbacks are there to this...it seems as Apple upgrades their-mini, you could do the same saving you money?

I am sure there are some drawbacks, please fill me in:

2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
    Apple 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x8GB
    256GB Solid State Drive
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Mac OS X Mountain Lion
    FREE SHIPPING

Apple Thunderbolt Display

$24640.00--no tax or shipping

2. The Peasant macrumors newbie

More expensive than the iMac, far less powerful, not all-in-one.

• processor is far slower and is a mobile cpu not a desktop
    • upgrading ram outside of apple on 27" far cheaper
    • mac mini can only come with intergrated graphics, so slow for games, 675mx in iMac will trounce it
    • more harddrive options, at not much more cost than 256ssd

thats what I notice off top of my head, include extra ports, the new laminated screen, less desktop space useage and remember mac minis are built fully with laptop parts really, an iMac (at least 27" bears alot more in common with a desktop, gpu withstanding). So slower cpu, hdd, intergrated graphics etc.

3. barbz41086 macrumors member

wouldn't worry about mini + TB untill there is a TB refresh

4. motrek macrumors 68020

Good idea except that Apple's BTO upgrades are a compete ripoff and the Mini is Apple's most user-serviceable model at the moment. Just buy the memory and SSD from somewhere else and install it yourself and you will save a fortune.

Aside from being able to [easily] put in your own parts, I would appreciate the Mini for being quiet. It only has one fan (which is easily accessed and cleaned) and it can be positioned wherever you want in your work area that makes it the quietest. Not the same with an iMac.

5. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

I personally wouldn't spend 25 thousand dollars on a Mac, but that's just me.

6. Dyn-tec thread starter macrumors member

After rerunning the figures, you are right, $24,000 does seem a little expensive.