T"e"H Conduit!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by JackAxe, Jun 24, 2009.

1. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I picked up my copy tonight. I'm going to play it tomorrow. I have a project due no later than tomorrow morning and I shouldn't even be posting here right now.

I bought this from GameStop, as it was convenient. Anyways the attendant gave me the most exaggerated MEH-look when I asked if they had it in stock. His lips went straight to upper left to the point his face was contorted. It was so obvious that he had some issue with this game and the Wii, that I laughed at him and asked; "What's that look?" :]

Anyways, I look forward to playing this tomorrow.

2. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I was just about to start a thread on this :)

It has some pretty good reviews, and apparently the multiplayer works really well (no lag and such). So i'll probably be picking it up sometime this week!

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I might get this at a later date, the controls aside I much prefer FPS games on the PC for their mod-ability... And it's just easier for me to get into a PC game.

Does look and sound good though. Maybe.

4. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Slightly on / slightly off topic post. If I should just move it to another thread let me know :).

I want to pick up this game, especially for the online multiplayer. I've moved overseas to Europe from the States and want to play it with some friends back home. However, my Wii is from the States. Is there a simple way to make it so I can play this game if I buy it in Europe? (a link to a thread or webpage that says how instead of taking up space in this thread would be fine).

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Looking good and I'm very interested...I might pick it up over the weekend. I'll rely on MR members for insight so Jimmi/Jack I'll like a full page review before this weekend:p

Bless

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's a shame they didn't implement Motion Plus.

Not sure about this one, it's always looked a bit MEH! to me.

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Same here. I'm just not sure.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea, I'm this way with any console shooter now. But I've heard a lot of people comparing it to Goldeneye which might be a stretch, but thats good enough for me. (the last great console shooter, IMO)

Oh cool beans. A Nintendo hating friend on Facebook went and posted-
    So that kind of pricks my attention in all sorts of ways.

9. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

The controls are supposed to be really, really good. That, and good online play with a good variety of modes and maps makes a good console FPS in my book :)

We'll have to arrange an MR Conduit deathmatch!

10. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Picked it up today. Not too bad. There's nothing special about it, it's just a simple basic shooter. That's not a bad thing. The controls are good and the online is nice. Not much to say about it, but it's nice to touch the Wii again. I had to get new AAs in my Wiimote to play this!

Anyway, it's good, and I'll probably play some online for a while. The online feels like a classic FPS, slightly reminds me of Goldeneye.

11. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

That's pretty much how I feel about it. It's a shooter, plane and simple. It's exactly what I expected and what I wanted on the Wii because of its controls. It's no Counter Strike Source or Prime 3, but it's definitely better than most console FPSs.

They nailed the pointer which is the most important, but I really would have liked the option to lean around corners like in Medal of Honor 2 -- unless I missed something? MoH2 used the nun-chuck's tilt to lean. The sniper scope was also unique in MoH2 and IMO worked great.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ But every shooter I've played on the wii controls far worse than and less intuitive than a standard controller. Metroid 3 has the best control on the wii FPS so far from what I have tried, but I thought both Metroid Prime 1&2 controlled better with standard controllers.

As for the wii being as close to this holy grail of Keyboard and Mouse, I just do not find this to be the case at

The wii remote / nunchuck just isn't that accurate. Heck looking at even a game like House of the Dead 3 - the game worked better on Xbox with a proper lightgun, than it does with the wii remote which again just is not as acurate.

Lets face it, Nintendo must have thought the same otherwise they would have had no need to bring out MOTION PLUS. The fact this game doesn't even use it, has pretty much no other standout feature to differentiate it from any other FPS other than the fact it's better than most of the diatribe on Wii just isn't enough justification for me to part 50Euro......

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Wow, time got by me, I'll be picking it up tomorrow!

14. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

MacRumorUser,

The Wiimote's problem is that the larger the screen size the less accurate it becomes. To make matters worse, most games don't offer the options to adjust the tracking and their implemention is just poor when compared to this game and Medal of Honor 2.

Now on smaller screens like the 14" CRT I own, the Wiimote's cursor is practically 1:1, because the sensor bar is about the same width as the screen. It's very precise to my movement and the latency is almost none. I played Prime 3 on this and my 19", so I had no issues with the cursor. I didn't need to use the auto-lock feature. My 19" is pretty much the same as the 14" when it comes to tracking, only a tiny-bit more latency when moving the remote. On my 42" TV the Wiimote's latency is noticeable, so it takes a game like The Conduit with its better than most controls and settings, along with placing the sensor bar half way between me and the TV to get things right. If I don't move the bar, the cursor is too touchy. I was able to get the controls good for my cousin's 65" projection HD with MoH2, by doing this.

With The Conduit they let me go into the game to tweak the controls as I play. This is really cool as it made it much easier to get the controls right.

As for MotionPlus, it fixes the problem with micro movements not being registered properly. It's a waggle fix, not a tracking fix. :]

High Voltage did look into it to help tracking when the camera went off the screen, but they determined it didn't help.

IMO, what really needs to be done is that Nintendo needs to first add more settings to adjust the tracking. They also need to rethink the sensor bar design, since it's really only good for smaller TVs. I've heard from others and read that NAMCO's PS3 gun, which uses a 4 LED setup is not only more accurate, but it also works well on large screens. It would be nice if Nintendo adopted something like this setup.

Also, we can all thank these newer HD sets for the death of a proper light gun. No camera based tracker will ever be as precise as a CRT that can register a pixel hit which correlates exactly to where one pointed.

Anyways, this game is good, it's run of the mill, but we all knew that. The only reason I paid full price, is because it's clear they put in the effort to make this game right on the Wii. I also bought this, because I've had an overall good experience with the Wiimote, since I played this thing mostly on tiny screens. I've played a BILLION FPSs on my PCs over the years, I've only played 2 on the Wii that were worth mentioning prior to this new one, so right now I'll jump on any FPS for the Wii that gets the controls right, especially when the developer put in the effort to polish the game.

15. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

With The Conduit on my 50" I just had to screw around with the sensitivity until it felt right :D.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That made a lot of sense about the screen and explains why some games I've played do indeed play better on a smaller screen than my 37 & 42" LCD's I normally game on.

I have some store credit, so I may give this a try after all..... Once I've finished Little King Story ;)

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Saw that in GameStop for pre-order today....didn't order it, but nice to see its coming soon(in the US)

I picked up Resident Evil Achieves for Wii and order The Conduit from Amazon...hoping for good stuff!(But I won't be able to play it until friday :-(

18. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The game is fun, just nothing new to offer, but still a good way to spend some time. Little King is probably a better game overall. :eek:

I was thinking about getting a different sensor bar to see if it helps. I found this, maybe it will help.

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I still haven't gotten around to buying this game..so the final verdict on this game: Must Buy?

Hows the multiplayer online?

Bless

20. JackAxe thread starter macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Uhhh... Errr... Well, IMO, it's not a must buy, but it's still a fun game, just nothing new as we all expected. It's fun kind of like Half Life, so one of those games that will keep you going if you give it the chance. It's definitely not a Prime 3.

I bought a Nyko sensor bar, since they were only $15. For freak sake, this thing works WAY WAY WAY better than the lame Nintendo bar. Anyways, it really helped my situation and tightened up the cursor tracking and I did't need to move the bar closer to me to help. But I'm still tempted to modify it, so that the LEDs are further apart for even tighter control.

And one last ramble... I bought Dead Rising Wii.... It was only $19, so at that price, I've enjoyed what I've been playing. I thought it was completely wrong that they were charging more for this game than the MUCH BETTER RE4.