&T iPhone 3G 3.1.3 Stuck in Emergency Call Mode - "No Sim Card"

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by markodude, May 15, 2010.

1. markodude macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I've spent the past week poring over posts on here and on different sites, trying to educate myself as best I can so i can fix this issue. After hours and hours of banging my head against the wall, I can't figure anything out. My story goes:

- 2009 iPhone 3G updated to latest firmware/bootloader/baseband (3.1.3, 5.11.07, 5.09)
    -Tried to jailbreak with pwnage tool 3.15 and accidentally checked "Activate iPhone"
    -When restoring the custom pwnage firmware from iTunes, got a 16xx error
    -Unplugged and tried to restore to original ipsw which i had backed up before
    -This process looked like it went normal, but when it was finished the iPhone restarted into emergency call mode and iTunes gave the error The SIM card insterted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported (even though it is a functional ATT SIM tested and working in other ATT phones)
    -I tried doing pwnage fresh without the activate iphone checked and it went through all the steps, this time without the error, but when it reset, it was still in emergency call mode.

Since then i tried numerous things to get it back to working status including, calling ATT, Apple, getting a new SIM, various Jailbreaks (Blackra1n, Spirit, redsn0w, pwnage), unlocks. Nothing worked -------> EXCEPT: When I run redsn0w, it goes through the JB, restarts and functions 100% normally, but THERE IS NO SIGNAL. I tried installing ultrasn0w through cydia, and all that does is change the signal from no bars "_ _ _ _ _" to "Searching".

So basically what I'm left with at this point is an oversized iPod touch. An iPhone that doesn't get signal........ UGH.

Does anybody have any ideas about what could possibly be wrong with it or what I could do to get service back? I really don't have the $200 to replace it at all. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. markodude thread starter macrumors newbie

No one!?

Cmon guys! i followed all the instructions and the thing still bricked my phone.... someone's got to have an idea about this!:D

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's pretty simple, based on what you wrote. You're on an unlockable baseband if you went to 3.1.3. You're not on 5.11.07.

Put your phone in DFU MODE and restore to stock 3.1.3 and then rejailbreak.

4. markodude thread starter macrumors newbie

• When i put it in DFU mode and restore to stock 3.1.3, it goes to the emergency call screen on the phone and itunes says that the sim card is not recognized
    • If I jailbreak from that point, the phone is able to start up again, but it gets no service (i know it's not a sim issue, i've tried the sim in other phones and it works fine)

5. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

it could be the sim reader in the phone itself....try another at&t sim card and see if it gives you the same error message.......if it does then its prob. the sim reader inside the phone

6. markodude thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok

I'll give it a shot but don't you think that's a bit of a coincidence that my sim reader would die at the exact same time that i tried to jailbreak?

Sounds fishy to me, i have a feeling that's not the case.

7. markodude thread starter macrumors newbie

OK so, i brought it to the apple store. They examined it and said it was a software issue, not SIM reader issue. They also added that they could not fix it for me and that I would have to buy a replacement.

So I think its safe to say its not a SIM reader issue. Anything else come to mind that could be odne to fix it? :confused:

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

So did you bring it to them JB? if it's software not understanding why they wouldn't exchange it. please provide some more details.

9. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

yea you need to provide more details here,

if you took it to the apple store jailbroken i have no sympathy

10. markodude thread starter macrumors newbie

why would i bring it to the apple store jailbroken?:rolleyes:

no. i restored to original state from DFU mode. unfortunately, when i do a restore (as i mentioned earlier in the thread), the iphone parks itself in emergency call mode and when i connect it to itunes, it tells me that the sim card is unsupported (i've also tried going to AT&T store to get a new sim car, no dice).

they are not inclined to help me troubleshoot and will not give me a replacement because my warranty is up. the only recourse they offered me was a $200 replacement for my phone. this seems bogus because software problems should be fixable if all the hardware is intact (which it is).

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

So as long as my car has it's parts they should replace the parts? Not much they can do after the warrenty. Most company's will just say by another at full price. I have got new sims from At&t no problem are are you going to a factory store? If all else fails you could sell it as is on eBay. Then use the money towards a new phone. Other wise you pay $200 get a refurbished 3g 8gb.

12. markodude thread starter macrumors newbie

Labman: your post does nothing except reiterate what I just said. I'm here trying to solve a technical problem and your just regurgitating apple propaganda? Get real.

And yes i did go to the 14th st apple store in NYC.

13. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

14. arkini1 macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem, but I was wondering if I could borrow my friends SIM card, to get my Iphone away from emergency call mode, then update to the newest update, jailbreak it from there?