T-mo plans + Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Main Target, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Main Target macrumors newbie

I dont know much about the different networks, and web services by iPhone.

Currently i am on an t-mo family plan, with no real features. If i wanted to be able to check e-mails surf the net on my iphone what kind of plan do i need to look at getting?

2. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

MT:

You just need to add the 5.99 "T-Zones" plan. You will have all the web you can use- Safari, Mail, Google Maps. Things like YouTube MUST be done via WiFi, so you won't have that (but you wouldn't on ATT, either). The ONLY thing you won't have is Visual Voicemail.

You will need to configure the T-Mo EDGE account- just add 'wap.voicestream.com" in 1.1.3... but there was a bit more work involved in getting it up on 1.1.1 as I recall.

3. Main Target thread starter macrumors newbie

ive been trying to find this tzones plan and cant find it :-/.

Also where would i put in this wap.voicestream.com line you are telling me about.

4. Main Target thread starter macrumors newbie

is this what i should be looking for?

T-MobileWeb Search the mobile web, find directions to the places you want to go, get local, international and financial news, stock quotes, weather, sports, play online games, email, community chat and more, right at your fingertips anywhere you go.

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

What do you mean that you won't have YouTube on EDGE with at&t? I almost exclusivily use YouTube on EDGE... if I was near WiFi, I'm near a computer so I use it instead.

TEG

6. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

It was my understanding that YoutUbe only worked on WiFi. I stand corrected.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

iTunes only works on WiFi.

TEG

8. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

Your life will be much easier if you just bow down to AT&T.

With T-Mobile, your future is uncertain, as you may get stuck with using an older firmware/software version of the iPhone with no ability to upgrade to the newest coolest features when they are released.

It seems to me that unlockers are having a harder time battling with Apple's updates, and jailbreakers might also die out when the SDK is released.

I have a jailbroken iPhone and can tell you that new software packages are not being released as frequently as when the 1.0.2 firmware jailbreak was first released. THE SDK KIT WILL CHANGE THE GAME!

Do you live in an area without AT&T coverage? If not, why do you want to use T-Mobile so bad and lock yourself out of future updates to the iPhone?

9. Main Target thread starter macrumors newbie

Im in a t-mo contract.

and more or less the phone was free to me.

10. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

That is a giant load of BS.

I am on 1.1.3 right now, everything runs fine. I bought this phone out of the box Saturday. 3 minutes, and I was up and running on t_mo. Probably quicker than registering through ATT for a new account on iTunes. When the new version comes out, it may be a week, or two. Whatever. But eventually, I will get the new version, and I am patient.

I thought just the opposite- breaks are coming quicker, and more hassle free. ZiPhone is an all in one solution, does the whole job in 2 minutes, AND IS FREE.

We shall see.

11. elenex50 macrumors member

My plan

I also have the family plan... i am just going to stick with my family plan. Get the $5.99 t-zones internet and the $15 unlimited text package. does that seem like a good plan?

12. Main Target thread starter macrumors newbie

seems like what i will be doing as well.

I debating between a text plan or the tzones

I stingy what can i say

13. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

Phone is meant to be used on the AT&T network. Anyone who unlocks the phone for the purpose of using it on a different network gets what they deserve when they have problems. Suck it up and follow the rules set forth by Apple & AT&T or settle for another phone.

14. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

you spend alot on a nice phone then you get crap service out of ATT unlock people..........until they get rid of ATT

15. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Not only is that a preposterously stupid attitude, but it also reflects a sad submission to what Apple and AT&T are doing which is decidedly anti-consumer.

You do realize that there are laws requiring carriers to unlock phones? And that formal complaints have been lodged with the FCC and are being investigated? It's only a matter of time before ATT is forced to provide unlocks for any customer who asks.

On the other hand, pro-consumer companies like TMobile have *always* provided unlocks to any customer who asks, on any phone they sell.

Accept defeat meekly, if you like. But don't assume the rest of us will or should. Ridiculous.

TM

16. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Famous last words.

17. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Common myth.
    The DMCA only says that it is not a violation of the DMCA to unlock your phone.
    There is no wording anywhere in the act that says a carrier is "required" to provide the unlock.

AT&T and Apple are not required to give the consumer anything.

Link to the actual law for your reading pleasure.
    http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/17usc1201.htm

18. MacCurry macrumors 6502

With the $5.99 T-Zones, is there any port forwarding or proxy within the iPhone? I'm planning on pulling the trigger with T-Mo + 16GB iPhone here soon.

And please to those who don't like the rest of us unlocking the iPhone, we know the risks and are willing to accept it, back off. Many of us have lots of phones and if one day, the iPhone doesn't work, we'll re-install the right firmware, reset and sell, give or switch to Deathstar for iPhone service.

19. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

In Europe there are laws for this but in the US there is not.

20. hotsauce3868 macrumors member

21. Main Target thread starter macrumors newbie

Trying to set up ibrikr on my phone killed it and i had to do a restore, however i have ziphone which lets me type in the APN to wap.voicestream.com UN-guest pass-guest.

I can rec e-mails but it takes forever, i cannot get my weather/stocks/safari to work.

22. AFKMatrix macrumors member

Hi,

I am in the UK and am thinking of getting an Iphone but would like to stay with TMobile UK. Now I have their £7.50 Web n Walk which gives me unlimited internet per month, now if I get an Iphone and unlock it will i be able to use this Web n Walk for internet access?

Thanks.

23. Main Target thread starter macrumors newbie

I have done all the changes in the guide above thru SSH, i have tried other guides that give different strings of code for .plist and .pac files. I STILL cannot browse websites/youtube/stocks/weather.

E-mail works on occasion.

Let the frustration begin!

24. sangolover macrumors newbie

After jailbreaking and unlocking with ziphone, simply go onto Installer via wi-fi, install the T-Zones hack (there are a couple of them available after installing "Community Sources"), then your Edge connection should work fine. Of course being on wi-fi is faster than Edge, but all the applications should function fine. People I know who use AT&T service with their iPhones complain about the same things that I have found to be true being on T-Mobile. The loading speed of websites, weather, stocks, and maps varies depending on your location. Oh well, it's still great to have a jailbroken iPhone with all the extra features that "legal" iPhone users don't have.