Carrier T-Mobile $5/month iPhone 6s promo. Will this work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sn0warmy, Sep 23, 2015.

1. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I'll start by saying that I've been an Android user for the past 6 years. However, I've recently veered away from my 8-5 desk job and started my own business. Since making this change I've started relying on my phone for more work productivity and I'm finding that it lacks in many areas, especially when it comes to syncing notes/reminders to my newly purchased Macbook pro. I'm looking for a more seamless phone/computer experience. So it's time to get back into an iPhone.

I was about to go pickup an iPhone 6, then naturally, Apple announces the 6s. Shortly after that I find the below article about T-Mobile's upgrade offer which provides the 6s for $5/month if you trade in an iPhone 6 or newer Galaxy phone. Unfortunately, I have an LG G4, so if I upgrade from that, I pay $15/month.

Link to article:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2015/09/23/tmobile-jump-on-demand-iphone-6s-offer/

With that said, I'm a "JUMP! On Demand" customer and I have 2 more jump upgrades left to use this year. So here's what I'm thinking...

If I go in tomorrow and use one of my yearly upgrades to switch from the LG G4 to the iPhone 6, wait 1-2 weeks and then go in and use my second upgrade to go from the 6 to the 6s, in theory I should be able to get into the 6s for $5/month.

I know it's a bit of a work around, but does anyone see why this wouldn't work?

2. RegattaNYC macrumors newbie

RegattaNYC

Go Green!!! (sorry, I couldn't resist)

3. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

I'm also a Jump On Demand customer and I don't think this is how it works. I think it's only introductory pricing for new JOD customers.

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

The phone you trade in to get the $5/month has to be a phone that you own outright. Since you wouldn't own the phone, you would not be able to get the 6s for the $5/month or even the $15/month by trading in your G4.

In order to qualify for that price, the phone you trade in has to be a device in the same financing state as someone switching from another carrier (in other words, not currently in an EIP or Lease program). You'll have to accept switching to the $20/month, sorry! (Unless you buy yourself out of the lease, which hey, might be worth it to you, I don't know, your call).

5. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

This is great info and makes sense. I knew it couldn't be as simple as I imagined. Looks like I'll just hold off and trade in the G4 to go straight into the iPhone 6s for the $20/month lease option. I don't mind paying more each month to have the freedom to change things up a couple times a year. I was just hoping this was going to be a bit of a loophole that I could utilize.

Now the question is whether or not my local T-Mobile store will have any of the color variant/storage capacity I want in inventory tomorrow. But I imagine this is wishful thinking.