T-Mobile 6s not unlocked this time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by micho119, Sep 9, 2015.

1. micho119 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've just had a chat with over 15 of Apple support guys.
    They all confirmed that this time all the phones with carrier are locked.
    The only fully unlocked phones are by iPhone upgrade program.

So seems like it's bad luck for us this year.

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Yeah I don't buy that for a second. They claimed the same thing last year and it wasn't true.

3. duaneu macrumors 6502a

They always say that. It's to discourage the scalpers from buying up all the T-Mobile phones. It's not true.

4. noles1983 macrumors regular

wow stupid if true, too many prepaid users to do that. Apple can't be that dumb, i hope.

5. flur macrumors 68000

It's possible TMo is doing the unlock-at-activation that VZ does.

6. Berzerker7 macrumors newbie

Verizon doesn't do unlock-at-activation. All VZW LTE phones are factory unlocked, as per FCC spec.

As for this T-Mobile thing, Apple isn't indicating it's unlocked, and T-Mobile has a general "40 day unlock policy," where you have to wait 40 days after having service with it to unlock it.

I could see it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't true.

7. flur macrumors 68000

Not according to Apple and Verizon. I asked the Verizon rep the last time I got an iphone and was told that if VZ sells the phone, it's unlocked, but if Apple sells the phone, it's unlocked at activation.

8. Berzerker7 macrumors newbie

100% untrue. I purchased a Verizon phone to use on T-Mobile last year and it worked fine.

What he said would be in violation of their FCC agreement.

9. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

Take anything you hear from chat support with a grain of salt. I'd imagine a device only fully unlocked iPhone 6S will be released a little bit after the initial launch, just like the 6.

10. Gr81MB macrumors 6502

Gr81MB

All I know Is I am Ordering a "Pay In Full" iPhone 6S Plus AT&T 64GB, And if a phone that i paid $849 is LOCKED, i will send it right back, sounds silly that a phone i paid at full price is Locked, no way.

11. micho119 thread starter macrumors newbie

just fyi, i bought the 6plus on t-mobile last year and it worked just fine in my country even though apple support mentioned it will be locked.

12. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

You may as well purchase the Verizon iPhone instead if you're going that route.

13. Gr81MB macrumors 6502

Gr81MB

I have a Good AT&T No Contract Plan, Rather stick to a AT&T phone just incase, the Verizon have more bands?

14. Berzerker7 macrumors newbie

Unless you need CDMA, it's not necessary.

The reason people are suggesting the Verizon model is because it's guaranteed factory unlocked.

15. TechnicallyTee macrumors demi-god

TechnicallyTee

Right whats the difference because if its just more bands then I will just order the AT&T paid in full and get it unlocked through AT&T with a quick phone call before activating.

16. flur macrumors 68000

The difference is that the Verizon phone will have CDMA tech, so that you can use it on more networks. The ATT phone will have LTE band 30, which will be for next-gen data once ATT builds the network (they haven't yet).

17. Gr81MB macrumors 6502

Gr81MB

I see I See, I bet the AT&T full price phone will be unlocked as well.

18. duaneu macrumors 6502a

I may just do that as well. Apple never had a pay in full option at preorder before, so last year I used NEXT (and the year before that I bought the T-Mobile model and used it on AT&T). If you were eligible for any kind of upgrade, you were forced to use it. It's nice that at least you have the option now.

19. Berzerker7 macrumors newbie

5S you could pre-order online full price (I did it). 6/6+ you could buy full price but in-store only.

20. Gr81MB macrumors 6502

Gr81MB

Exactly! Think this changed too because contracts are going away and more and more people have no contract plans therefor the option to sell phones unlocked are higher, either way your still paying for it somewhere along the line!

21. duaneu macrumors 6502a

There were no pre-orders for the 5s. Online sales started the same day they were available in stores.

But that not withstanding, when the 5s came out, I was one year into a two year contract with my iPhone 5. The only option buying the AT&T model was for the $499 "early upgrade" price and extend the contract another two years. I didn't want to do that, so bought the T-Mobile 5s at full price and sold my 5.

And there was the same misinformation going around about T-Mobile phones being locked. It wasn't true then and I don't think it's true now. But they sow enough seeds of doubt that people hesitate to get one. There are endless discussion threads on the topic every year (and this year will probably be no different).

22. nox5 macrumors 6502

23. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Technically all iPhones are locked until they try activating. The activation server decides to send an unlocked ticket based on what that IMEI allows for. In the case of Verizon branded phones, the activation server will issue a ticket for any SIM

24. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I wouldn't count the AT&T/T-mobile phones out of having CDMA just yet. Last year the CDMA wasn't advertised either, but the phones had the bands enabled.