Carrier T-Mobile 6S upgrade: swap SIM cards?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rbrewer, Sep 26, 2015.

1. rbrewer macrumors newbie

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes.

Just received my iPhone 6S, upgrading from an iPhone 6 via Jump On Demand. The new phone came with a T-Mobile SIM card, which was a surprise because I was expecting it would be empty.

Are you supposed to swap in the SIM card from your existing phone to the new one, or does the new phone's SIM also work with my account (clone)? Weird that there is no instructions on what to do. I tried test calling from another iPhone 6, and it seems to always prefer FaceTime rather than making the call via T-Mobile voice, so it rings on both phones (and an old iPhone 5 I have :)

It's also weird that Apple no longer includes a SIM extraction tool with phones, but I have some from my older iPhones.

Thanks!

2. mustang52 macrumors member

I just made a call from the new phone which will lead you to T-Mobile. Then just tell them you need to activate the new phones and read the SIM card numbers. All done.

3. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

Yes, swapping the SIM card works. There is no need to activate a new SIM. A metal paper lip is the perfect SIM extraction tool.

4. Oakmhcky21 macrumors member

i transferred the sim from my 6 to the 6s+ before powering it on. Im not sure what the "right" way to do it was, but it worked for me just fine.

5. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

You can do it either way. I had the new SIM activated for my 6S. On previous phones, I just swapped the SIM. It really doesn't matter unless TMO has updated the SIM itself. Like when LTE was activated, I was still on AT&T but they said I needed to change my SIM to get that signal.

6. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

When I got mine, I took the SIM out of my 6 and threw it in the 6s, and then powered the 6s on and it worked. Left the old SIM in the 6 and turned it in.