Carrier T-Mobile account question (expiration/cancellation)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jazzer15, Dec 4, 2013.

1. jazzer15 macrumors 6502

I have a Verizon iPad Air and put a T-Mobile sim card in it for the 200mb free data. Now that it is set up, if I decide to use another carrier for a while what do I have to do with the T-Mobile account? Would I cancel and delete and then have to get another sim card? Just pop it out and back in when I want to use it again (this seems to make more sense)? And if I don't use it for a while, will it eventually expire like the Verizon one would in 5 months?

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

You can just remove the SIM and re-insert when you want to use it again. I don't think it will expire like the Verizon SIM.

3. mjcnortheast macrumors newbie

Free 200MB for life when you use it

I remember wording in the original free data for life plan that said you get free data for life as long as you use it. This may mean that you will get dropped from the plan if you don't use any data from T-Mobile in a month. Since it is a limited time offer, it may not be possible to get back in if you get dropped.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Do you have a link stating when they're dropping the offer?

Or do you suspect that's just legaleze meaning they can change it up if/when they decide to do so in the future?

5. mjcnortheast macrumors newbie

I had to talk to T-Mobile customer support today so I asked about the "and use it" stipulation. The rep I talked to "Beth" said there was nothing in the policy she could find that said that they would cancel the 200MB for life plan if you did not use it for three months. She said it my be different if the SIM was canceled and you were required to activate a new SIM.

----------

My understanding was that it was a promotion timed to match the release of the iPad Air and iPad Mini Retina and that they would stop signing up new devices for the plan at some point. I expect all existing devices could stay on the plan even after they no longer offer it for new customers.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

I haven't gotten any sense of it being a limited time promotion that is planned to expire at this point. Of course all cell company plans/offerings are subject to change over time, which is my interpretation.

Yet I can see how the timing and phrasing would lead to you to your point of view. I doubt we'll know for sure until the day TMO eventually changes the offering.

FWIW, check out this site -- I didn't see anything indicating it was intended as a limited time promo, but may have missed it.

http://www.t-mobile.com/landing/free-mobile-internet-data.html