Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
I'm wondering how T-Mobile Advance Messaging service will affect the iPhone. I know it has rolled out already on the Samsung phones already

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
"To use this new service, a customer's device must have a long-term evolution, or LTE, connection, or a wireless Internet connection"

So if you're in an area with no LTE coverage or WiFi this thing doesn't work. o_O

Read more: What Is T-Mobile's Advanced-Messaging Service? (TMUS) http://www.investopedia.com/article...s-advancedmessaging-service.asp#ixzz3sXhzHOmT

To be fair that's most customers.

If anything all this means is once the iPhone gains support, we'll have iMessage like functionality with Android users.

OOOH! Lets make those bubbles teal! Not quite iMessage, not quite standard text.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA

If anything all this means is once the iPhone gains support, we'll have iMessage like functionality with Android users.

OOOH! Lets make those bubbles teal! Not quite iMessage, not quite standard text.
Lol teal. That would be kinda cool :p

So this service will probably be out 2015-2016 I'm guessing. Verizon and/or AT&T? Eh they'll scoff at the feature, calling it trash and then finally slip it through the door, half-baked, a few years later. Maybe by 2018 or so.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

iMessage is also encrypted. Is this thing encrypted? I didnt read too deep into it.

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Yes no more resizing things. Pics/ video I noticed imessage doesn't resize

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
iMessage is also encrypted. Is this thing encrypted? I didnt read too deep into it.

No. It's still basic SMS, just upgraded to be more IM-like. It's kinda like a VoLTE call - it's still a phone call, through and through.

synonys

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Lol teal. That would be kinda cool :p

So this service will probably be out 2015-2016 I'm guessing. Verizon and/or AT&T? Eh they'll scoff at the feature, calling it trash and then finally slip it through the door, half-baked, a few years later. Maybe by 2018 or so.
Att already announced they have this feature...

trikotret

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2015
You only get 10-20 second of video length compared to iMessage 3 min. But it's the start.

aldrinjtauro

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2014
Birmingham, AL
Huh... How is it a phone call
He's talking about VoLTE calls vs normal calls. VoLTE calls use packeted data over the Internet (or that kind of network), while normal calls use older, proprietary protocols. iMessage is kind of like IM'ing over the internet, SMS is an older protocol, and AMS is also kind of like IM'ing (uses packets over the internet).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.