Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile has plans to rapidly expand the availability of 5G across the United States, with the company aiming to offer "Ultra Capacity 5G" to 90 percent of Americans by the end of 2023.

t-mobile-network-deployment-plans.jpg

"Ultra Capacity 5G" includes T-Mobile's mid-band and millimeter wave 5G connectivity, with the company also planning to offer slower "Extended Range 5G" across 97 percent of the U.S. by the end of 2022.

As highlighted by The Verge, T-Mobile shared the forecast during a virtual analyst event that took place today. At the current time, 125 million people have access to T-Mobile's Ultra Capacity 5G, a number that will expand to 200 million by the end of 2021.

According to T-Mobile, those who have access to Ultra Capacity 5G can expect an increase in speed from 300Mb/s to 400Mb/s as T-Mobile builds out its 5G network with spectrum acquired during its merger with Sprint.

T-Mobile recently purchased C-band spectrum (which was also made available to Verizon and AT&T) that will become usable in 2023 and will help the company reach its availability goals.

Article Link: T-Mobile Aiming to Cover 90% of Americans With 'Ultra Capacity 5G' By 2023

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
if you would have asked me three years ago if I would be on T-mobile, I would’ve laughed. Recently, I tested them for about three weeks and I have been utterly impressed. I am consistently getting 400 to 600 Mb down where I am. Anecdotal for sure, but damn is it fast.
D46B4FED-E1BC-4FB9-A897-FFC295C930D6.png

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Well, here in San Diego (La Jolla) the coverage is not that great quite a few dead spots. I hope they fix that before offering 5g.
Ditto in Mountain View, CA where Google is headquartered. I live just 2 blocks from major shopping area in El Camino Real and I totally depend on Wi-Fi for data and Wi-Fi Calling for voice calls. And this is even when I am near the window.

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2016

Texhboy

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2021
T-Mobile 5G has been near perfect in Vegas. I’m very pleased that I was shuffled over from Sprint during the merger! Can’t wait to see what they can do with mid-band!

calstanford

Suspended
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
Ditto in Mountain View, CA where Google is headquartered. I live just 2 blocks from major shopping area in El Camino Real and I totally depend on Wi-Fi for data and Wi-Fi Calling for voice calls. And this is even when I am near the window.

Ha. I lived at Avalon Towers MTV and all I got was landline was at&t DSL 768kbit and comcast with 20% package drop. Just because Google is there doesn't make MTV a great or important place for internet connections. 4G T-Mo was fine tho.

ksj1

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2018
I'm one of the customers on their beta of 5G home internet. It blows Comcast out of the water where I am. Cheaper and much, much faster.

Reactions: Saipher

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
What does "50k ending small cells" mean? I'm not clear what a "small cell" is, I would have thought it was mmWave but that doesn't make sense.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
….back up power generators?
We had a number of power outages here in the SF Bay Area due to the wildfires last year, and T-Mobile continued working every single time (I have their 5GB for 5 months pass in my iPad as a backup for cases like this). They obviously have generators.

With the newly acquired spectrum from Sprint and the auction T-Mobile should now have what they need to provide good coverage nationwide. I'll probably switch to them soon (or maybe try Mint Mobile, which uses their network).

Reactions: macsound1

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
What does "50k ending small cells" mean? I'm not clear what a "small cell" is, I would have thought it was mmWave but that doesn't make sense.
Small cells are used to increase capacity in densely populated areas (essentially you can reuse spectrum more frequently in a given area by making the cells smaller). It can also help reduce coverage issues in cities. It doesn't necessarily mean mmWave.

Not sure what "50K ending" and "85k ending" is supposed to mean.

Reactions: BlindBandit

acgmph

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Around the world
IF they can offer that where I live - I will consider them ...
In my home, and I do not live in a rural area, I can't even run a SPEEDTEST - Verizon, what a joke!
ha, 3 min later, ping 368ms download 0.17Mbps, upload 0.01 Mbps - Verizon LTE :rolleyes:o_O
Had the same thing. Switched to TMo and never looked back. For some reason, both AT&T and Verizon were awful at my house, but TMo rocked.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Has it been that way for a while. Since 2016, I've always had good service from Sprint along El Camino Real. I only had trouble near San Fran. I'm concerned about changing my SIM card and having worse service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.