Carrier T-Mobile and "AppleCare Services"....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1080p, Sep 26, 2018.

1. 1080p macrumors 68030

1080p

I ordered 2 XS phones for my girlfriend and I. Prior to this, I did not carry any insurance on my iPhone, but did have T-Mobile's insurance on her old 7 Plus. I intended to cancel her T-Mobile insurance in favor of AppleCare+ directly though Apple. But I was not going to cancel her T-Mobile insurance until I added Apple's to the phone.

My XS came Friday, I added AppleCare+ $9.99 monthly to it right away.
    Her XS came yesterday and I activated it last night. This morning I went to the AppleCare+ purchase page to add the $14.99 monthly plan, put in her serial and it didn't offer me the option to buy. I was confused... I entered the serial a couple times and looked for a "buy" button, but there was nothing there... then I noticed.... Her T-Mobile insurance automatically added "AppleCare services" to her iPhone in Apple's systems. I DIDN'T think this was a real thing... lol. I always thought T-Mobile offering "AppleCare services" was some sort of workaround so you would pay them the same prices that Apple charges for a screen repair ($29), etc. I had no idea T-Mobile's offering was an officially sanctioned product offered though Apple.

Compare my warranty screen and hers... They even have different wording for the coverage.

MINE:
    applecareplus.png
    HERS:
    applecareservices.png

So weird. So I guess I am forced to keep hers insure through T-Mobile now. If I cancel, they will likely pull the "AppleCare Services" and make her phone ineligible for new AppleCare through Apple.

Oh well. As long has coverage is the same.

2. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 68000

StaceyMJ86

I have AppleCare through T-Mobile and it automatically came up in Apple’s system as soon as my iPhone X was activated last year. I had to visit the Apple Store 2 weeks ago to get my screen fixed due to a software issue and they had no issues seeing I have AppleCare through T-Mobile. It saved me paying $279 to get the screen replaced.

3. 1080p thread starter macrumors 68030

1080p

Prior to this, she had an iPhone 7 that she brought to T-Mobile from Verizon under the "#GetOutOfTheRed" promotion. They insured it as a BYOD device after inspecting it at the T-Mobile store. But it never had "AppleCare Services" applied because of the fact it was already close to a year old. Kinda shocked me to see it happen on her XS. LOL.

4. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 68000

StaceyMJ86

I had the 7+ before the X and I don’t think T-Mobile had AppleCare then. I didn’t notice it until I received my X last year and saw that it was added with the JUMP and insurance. I’m glad because I didn’t have to pay for AppleCare this year. It’s one of the reasons why I don’t want to buy through Apple, unless I can pay full price and still have it through my JUMP.