Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile today revealed that it will be increasing the monthly prices of some of its older plans in the U.S. by $2 to $5 per line.

T-Mobile-Generic-Feature-Pink-1.jpg

Affected customers will receive a text message from T-Mobile if their plan will be receiving a price increase, which will take effect next month. Affected plans appear to include certain T-Mobile ONE, Simple Choice, and Magenta plans.

In its text message to customers, T-Mobile said this is the first time that it has changed the prices of some of its monthly plans in "nearly a decade."

"We're adjusting prices to respond to rising costs, but we are committed to offering low prices and the best value in postpaid wireless," said T-Mobile, in response to a customer inquiry on social media platform X. "We offer customers more for every dollar they spend than ever before, especially when you consider taxes & fees included."

In an alleged memo shared with T-Mobile employees today, the carrier said "costs and inflation have risen over the past decade," but touted that it still offers the "lowest prices versus AT&T and Verizon" after the price increases. T-Mobile also ensured that customers on these older plans will retain all of their "benefits and perks."

T-Mobile did not immediately respond to our request for more information.

Article Link: T-Mobile Announces Price Increases for Some Older Plans

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: JPack and zapmymac

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Nice one. First they took away Amazon Prime and Tidal the minute the terms of the merger closed (no grandfathered Sprint perks changes for 3 years post-merger), then they nuked the credit card option for autopay discount, and now they’re raising prices. The antitrust naysayers definitely couldn’t have predicted this!

TheLisnakFactor

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
New York
I got this. 0 details provided though. Does it apply to the free line on my account? How about my Apple Watch? I have 4 lines plus the watch. I can’t even see the new bill until it’s time to pay it and if you go on the website to try and change plans, you get an error. Annoying how little info they tell us.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
As has been discussed elsewhere, they're really no different than Verizon or AT&T. They spent a few years with a loss-leader marketing campaign - which did do some good. And now they're back to normal (and not just today's news). They're also not really that much cheaper than Verizon and AT&T depending on your plan and number of lines.

mthomas184

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2016
Cupertino
View attachment 2381303
Sooo.... price lock just doesn't matter anymore?
That price lock is different than price lock 1.0.

Thats the new one, which means, if they raise prices, you can leave and they will cover your final bill. Doesn't guarantee they can't raise them.

Now Price Lock 1.0 however, it was a limited time, but it states prices CANNOT and WILL NOT go up. Period.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Affected customers will receive a text message from T-Mobile if their plan will be receiving a price increase, which will take effect next month. Affected plans appear to include certain T-Mobile ONE, Simple Choice, and Magenta plans.
View attachment 2381303
Sooo.... price lock just doesn't matter anymore?
T-Mobile hasn't offered a ONE, Simple Choice, or Magenta plan in years... way before Jan. 18, 2024 which is when the price lock guarantee kicked in.

mthomas184

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2016
Cupertino
I got this. 0 details provided though. Does it apply to the free line on my account? How about my Apple Watch? I have 4 lines plus the watch. I can’t even see the new bill until it’s time to pay it and if you go on the website to try and change plans, you get an error. Annoying how little info they tell us.
From what’s been spoken on Reddit, free lines are not affected.

Voice lines are $5
Watch lines are $2

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
As has been discussed elsewhere, they're really no different than Verizon or AT&T. They spent a few years with a loss-leader marketing campaign - which did do some good. And now they're back to normal (and not just today's news). They're also not really that much cheaper than Verizon and AT&T depending on your plan and number of lines.
T-Mobile hasn't been (like the old) T-Mobile ever since John Legere step down as CEO and Mike Sievert took over.

averagenerd81

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2020
Out there man
T-Mobile hasn't been (like the old) T-Mobile ever since John Legere step down as CEO and Mike Sievert took over.
It never was the old T-Mobile. The plan has been this all along. They are a corporation like any other, with no other objective but to make as much money as possible. They just had a good playbook awhile back and sold people on how crappy the other networks were so they could build and then eventually do the exact same as the others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.