T-Mobile Anyone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by oldimac, Jun 8, 2010.

1. oldimac macrumors regular

This will show you just how far out of the "loop" I am but does T-Mobile have a microsim and if so or not, is it going to be possible to unlock the v4 to work with T-Mobile? Don't have ATT where I am. Still on 1st gen and T-Mobile. Thanks for any insight. PLEASE make it positive :eek:

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Tmobile doesnt use microsims but you can cut your sim into the microsim size and use it on the new iphone when its unlocked.
    And we should see an unlock within time.

3. oldimac thread starter macrumors regular

T-Mobile Sim

Thanks Applejuiced - appreciate the info :)

4. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

Just remember you won't be able to take advantage of more than EDGE data on TMobile due to the frequency of TMobile's 3G not being supported on the new device.

Once a jailbreak has been released it may be possible. The unlock for the new phone is up in the air unless the dev team has had easier access to the baseband for the new phone (which I suspect they have not yet seen). They are pretty good about finding a way, it just may take some time.

The iOS4 seems to have vulnerabilities that will allow the jailbreak, but I'd wait to order your phone hoping it will work unlocked on TMobile until you have confirmation from the dev team regarding the unlock.

5. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat - using T-Mobile on the 1st generation.

I have also debated on whether I should go ahead and buy and bank on an unlock coming out in the near future. Although it is not guaranteed that the Dev team will find a hole in the baseband, I think it might be better to buy an early version of the iphone 4 and just wait it out rather than buying a later version that may have an upgraded baseband already and than not being able to unlock that one.

At worst, we'll have a really, really expensive cool looking iPod Touch :)

6. dav macrumors 6502

I agree. Much the same with the 3GS bootloader.

Question: if you are planning in using it with tmobile why not just buy a HK factory unlocked version? I think that is what I might do.

7. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

How do I go about doing that?

I was planning to just buy it, sign a 2 year contract, and then just pay the ETF. But if HK is the way to go I might just do that.

8. JRML970 macrumors member

Factory Unlocked phones are nice in that you don't have to worry about accidentally updating your baseband and being stuck without a phone that will work on T-Mobile. However, they will cost significantly more than the current no-commitment prices in the US ($599 for 16GB, $699 for 32GB). I have a friend in Hong Kong and said going rate for the new iPhone, that won't be out until July, is around $850 and that's without any kind of markup from the seller and without any shipping cost. In total he said I'd be looking at $975 for a factory unlocked iPhone 4, and that's a generous price. Unless Apple changes their policy this time around you can simply walk into an Apple Retail Store and pickup a new iPhone at the no-commitment price without signing any contract. Depending on your timing you may have to wait for a software unlock to be released but your best bet is to wait until a software unlock has been confirmed and publicly released. Again with software unlocked iPhones you have to be careful to not update and disable the unlock but you will have a significant savings compared to a factory unlocked iPhone.

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I read somewhere that T-Mobile does have micro sims

10. sfphoto macrumors regular

Can you comment on using (via Edge):
    email
    maps / traffic / GPS

thanks!

11. dav macrumors 6502

Works fine for email, maps load a little slow, gps is unrelated to edge speed.

12. sfphoto macrumors regular

Thanks DAV!

Guess I could just get an original iPhone if I want to use with TMo - extra speed
    of the 3GS would be moot.

13. sfphoto macrumors regular

Saw this on another forum, can anyone here confirm:

If you buy a 3GS and unlock it for T-mobile, everytime you turn it totally off, you must tether it and boot

The older 3g is not tethered boot.

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

That's outdated. With the new Spirit jailbreak, all 3GS jailbreaks are untethered.

We expect the new 4.0 jailbreaks to all be untethered also.

15. icanhasiphone? macrumors regular

Im Planning to buy an iPhone 4 at full price on launch day and waiting for an unlock to be released. In the case that an unlock is never found ill just sell the phone on eBay or something.

16. JudasBlitzkrieg macrumors member

T-Mobile UK has Micro-Sims, we've been confirmed as selling the iPhone 4 over here. Maybe thats where you heard it?