Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I don't see why not all your doing really is swapping a physical SIM for one built into your phone. I don't think its rocket science I just think the carriers are trying to streamline the process.

I couldn't agree more, but this wouldn't be the first time that you are only able to take advantage of an offer/feature when you sign up as a new customer and lose your existing wonderful plan that you are grandfathered into. :)

The way the post is written, it's not entirely clear...

itpro82

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2018
I couldn't agree more, but this wouldn't be the first time that you are only able to take advantage of an offer/feature when you sign up as a new customer and lose your existing wonderful plan that you are grandfathered into. :)

The way the post is written, it's not entirely clear...

Carriers are nothing but evil...This why i dream of Apple being MVNO iOS only eSIMs only, One plan billed via iTunes account. I have the T-Mobile One plan on my Postpaid account I had no plan changes or anything when I switch to eSIM.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I don't quite understand the implementation of eSIM, isn't supposed your original carrier should take that spot? Just so when you decide to travel just buy a regular SIM on your destination pop it in then you're good to go.
In theory, you are right. But the reality is that eSIM is still pretty rare and migrating your primary carrier to eSIM frees up physical SIM slot for wider range of options.

When and if eSIM becomes ubiquitous, future iPhones may sport dual eSIMs instead.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Carriers are nothing but evil...This why i dream of Apple being MVNO iOS only eSIMs only, One plan billed via iTunes account. I have the T-Mobile One plan on my Postpaid account I had no plan changes or anything when I switch to eSIM.

Be careful what you wish for - apple will charge an arm and a leg if they have monopoly! :)

Ah! That's what I wanted to hear!! Beautiful! Thanks for the good news!

themacguy631

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Just signed up to try it out. Still some bugs apparently. At the end of the sign up process the app shows what number they assigned but it’s not the correct number. Totally different number is listed in settings! It also never sent a confirmation email after purchasing the plan. It also wasn’t clear at all if this auto renews.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Tourist Plan with 1000 minutes, unlimited text, and 2GB of LTE data for $30; 21 day expiry

That's a crappy setup for a "tourist". 1000 minutes is way more than they will be using talking on the trip, meanwhile they will be needing high-speed data for research/directions on the trip and social media posts back to friends/family.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Just signed up to try it out. Still some bugs apparently. At the end of the sign up process the app shows what number they assigned but it’s not the correct number. Totally different number is listed in settings! It also never sent a confirmation email after purchasing the plan. It also wasn’t clear at all if this auto renews.
It doesn’t. I called. Also if you dial the #BAR# number it indicates when you would be billed again but tells you to pay using various methods.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I guess prepaid would want eSIM as well, but i find is hard to know why, since plans would be more suited for eSIM, i would imagine that prepaid where you need to top up more when traveling oversees.

eSim, Convenience for all, but still... plus since mobile carriers cared more for money 'which they do' this would have set them off on a good start if the requirement would be 'plan only'

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I guess prepaid would want eSIM as well, but i find is hard to know why, since plans would be more suited for eSIM, i would imagine that prepaid where you need to top up more when traveling oversees.

eSim, Convenience for all, but still... plus since mobile carriers cared more for money 'which they do' this would have set them off on a good start if the requirement would be 'plan only'

I’ve read this several times and I still can’t figure out what you are saying. Can you rephrase?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I’ve read this several times and I still can’t figure out what you are saying. Can you rephrase?

You'd spend more time rehanging your phone on prepaid, tan making calls, or going through your data as you wish...

For plans,,, you can sit back and consume.. eSIM just seems more suited to those services not needing to worry abut needing to top up.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
You'd spend more time rehanging your phone on prepaid, tan making calls, or going through your data as you wish...

For plans,,, you can sit back and consume.. eSIM just seems more suited to those services not needing to worry abut needing to top up.
I still am not sure I get it.

But I am using the esim for travel. I am about to go on a trip, so I used the T-Mobile esim app to give me an alternate data connection since I know my carrier has terrible service where I’m going. So paying $40 for one month without having to set up a recurring plan is great to me.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
T-Mobile today announced the launch of its new T-Mobile eSIM app (via VentureBeat), designed to allow iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max users to sign up for T-Mobile as a second carrier via the eSIM feature in the newest

T-Mobile is the third U.S. carrier to implement support for the eSIM, following Apple's activation of the feature in iOS 12.1. Verizon and AT&T both added eSIM support to their services last week.

They did say that this would be done by the end of the year. :)

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
I'd like to be the first to announce that AngerFi will be entirely compatible with T-Mobile devices. AngerFi will guarantee full bars everywhere. Making the switch is easy: send over your first $30 payment, wait 2–3 business days to receive a SignalEnhancer, and apply it directly to your device!

View attachment 811330
Yeah, these are getting annoying/spammy.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Disappointed it's not yet available for postpaid. That absurd $25 SIM charge must be hard to quit.

My sentiments exactly!!!
[doublepost=1545097013][/doublepost]
so wait, will it be possible to convert an existing T-Mobile ONE plan to ESIM?

Sure... Once T-Mobile finds a way to monetize it.

First time I'm truly disappointed in Legere and company...

Sooo much fail!!!

Reactions: alexandr

spiddyman007

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2017

T-Mobile today announced the launch of its new T-Mobile eSIM app (via VentureBeat), designed to allow iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max users to sign up for T-Mobile as a second carrier via the eSIM feature in the newest iPhones.

U.S. customers who want to try T-Mobile, existing customers that want separate lines, and people traveling to the United States can add T-Mobile as a secondary prepaid line to any iPhone XS, XS Max, or XR using the new T-Mobile app.

tmobileesim.jpg

T-Mobile is offering three different prepaid eSIM plans:

[*]T-Mobile ONE Prepaid with unlimited voice, text, and data for $70; 30 day expiry
[*]Simply Prepaid with unlimited voice, text, and 10GB of LTE data for $40; 30 day expiry
[*]Tourist Plan with 1000 minutes, unlimited text, and 2GB of LTE data for $30; 21 day expiry

Adding T-Mobile as a secondary carrier on a device is as simple as downloading the T-Mobile eSIM app, entering an email address, and following the activation steps within the app.

At the current time, T-Mobile is only offering prepaid eSIM plans, but the carrier says it will also offer postpaid ongoing eSIM plans in the future. For those looking for an immediate postpaid solution to add an ongoing T-Mobile service plan as a secondary eSIM option to an iPhone, our forum members have outlined a possible solution that some users have been able to get working.

The eSIM, or digital SIM, is designed to let new iPhone users activate a cellular plan from a carrier without the need to use a physical SIM card.

With eSIM support, dual-SIM functionality is available on the iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max, enabled through the existing physical SIM slot and the eSIM in all countries with the exception of China. In China, the new iPhones have two SIM card slots.

T-Mobile is the third U.S. carrier to implement support for the eSIM, following Apple's activation of the feature in iOS 12.1. Verizon and AT&T both added eSIM support to their services last week.

The T-Mobile eSIM app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: T-Mobile Becomes Third U.S. Carrier to Offer eSIM Support on iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR
Are virtual networks ever gonna get e sim??

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
My sentiments exactly!!!
[doublepost=1545097013][/doublepost]

Sure... Once T-Mobile finds a way to monetize it.

First time I'm truly disappointed in Legere and company...

Sooo much fail!!!

This would be far from the first time for me :)
But according to itpro82 he transferred his postpaid to Esim and it works.

Reactions: cmaier

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
This would be far from the first time for me :)
But according to itpro82 he transferred his postpaid to Esim and it works.

I too have had eSim from Day 1 of the workaround.

What I'm saying is that T-Mobile is making this unnecessarily hard for post-paid users. It's really a shame.

ImAnAgent

Suspended
Oct 11, 2018
My mind
I just activated my eSim using the app and tried making a call and that works. Then I tried opening apps and safari and had no internet connection. Calle T-Mobile and they have no idea why.

I then inserted my sim but have that line turned off because I can’t get a data connection at my house so apps and internet will not work until I get a few blocks away. I am still at home and so after inserting the AT&T sim and turning the line off, I now have data working through T-Mobile. I guess the eSim isn’t fully functional without a physical sim being inserted in the phone as well.

Anyone experience this as well?

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
This eSim is the best iPhone feature ever. It is soooooo worth the price of admisssion. I have had two phones, an AT&T iPhone for my work/company phone, and my Verizon personal account. Even if they had both been on the same carrier, I would’ve been carrying 2 phones. My new iPhone Xs had my Verizon, and I have just put my AT&T onto it via the eSim. So easy and so cool how well the software works. You can set any individual number to preference either network for outgoing calls, and the phone answers either network inbound. If you are manually dialing a number, just choose “primary” or “secondary” for which sim you want to use. And it will also use that sim (the last one for that number) on subsequent calls. Going to a single phone for life is absolutely priceless. Truly a life-changing feature. Yay Apple. Not worrying about having the wrong phone, or keeping 2 phones charged, or simply not having to carry 2 phones around all day - truly priceless. If you are tied to 2 phones, really consider this feature and the limited phones that support it. It’s like magic.

Reactions: spiddyman007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.