T-Mobile Close to Refarming iPhone Network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RotaryP7, Aug 28, 2012.

1. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

So T-Mobile will be releasing these flyers soon..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LINK

There has to be something we don't know yet if they're trying to sell the iPhone on their network. They won't get the iPhone 5; but should be able to support older models soon enough. :cool:

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

No, it won't be until at least the end of 2013 that T-mobiles 1900mhz spectrum is refarmed for the iPhone getting 3G on their network.

Those flyers are simply for unlocked iPhone users who dont mind edge speeds.

3. RotaryP7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I believe most major cities should expect 3G by the end of this year or the beginning of next year. There are some places in the US that has the iPhone on TMO running 3G. It's getting there; slowly.

4. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

No the refarming for 3G on the iPhone is supposed to be done by the end of 2012. LTE-A is supposed to be rolled out by the end of 2013.

5. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Are there any maps out there to prove this? They also need to work on expanding their 3G footprint... it's really tiny right now.

6. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I'm patiently waiting for it. I love having the iPhone on T-Mobile's $30 plan but get frustrated with Edge sometimes. I can deal with it though because of the big savings.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Pay as you go is even cheaper still, at $45, and you get all that TMO includes on AT&T's network. If you are buying a phone outright (or just have an unlocked phone out of contract) I still think that is the better deal than TMO..

8. jediistar macrumors 6502

Well, you can use their coverage maps for one, their network covers well close to 200 million pops, which is smaller than the other, larger carriers but definitely more metro-centric.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That would be nice.
    Hope they roll it out sooner.
    Even though the flyer dont say anything about refarming 3G I still got hopes for Tmobile.
    If they do they will get tons of iphone customers.
    And if you cant afford to officially carry the iphone then make your network compatible with it, provide good speeds and cheaper prices than Verizon and AT&T and many will come to you.
    Good thinking by Tmobile IMO.

10. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

The awesome plan pricing and pretty great HSPA+ speeds are what are keeping me as a T-Mobile customer. Although I don't use an iPhone anymore, I can see why people would be willing to bring their iPhones to T-Mobile once they've finished refarming the network.

11. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

12. BiggAW macrumors 68020

If you look at the post I was quoting, you would see that I was referring specifically to PCS 3G, not their overall 3G network.

13. jediistar macrumors 6502

My point is that the very same maps that show 3G coverage now, will likely look the same with PCS coverage, they are trying to overlay their existing coverage. So areas that have coverage with 3G now with HSPA+ on the 1700 band, is hopeful to have coverage on the 1900 band.

As for existing PCS 3G coverage right now, no such map exists.

14. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Just found out that T-Mobile is also planning a "Blackout" period for Sept. 21-24 and training documents from Tmonews are showing that they have some strategy of comparing the iPhone live in store to their Android devices in order to encourage users to either buy one of their Android phones or use their unlocked iPhones on T-Mobile. From the sounds of it they make it seem that T-Mobile will have 1900mhz 3G up in most major markets by that day. Guess we will find out in a few weeks. I sure hope so.

15. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Ok, it doesn't exist. We don't know if it will be the same map. We also don't know exactly where it is deployed now, except anecdotally. Ideally, PCS 3G will be the same as AWS 3G by the end of the year, and both will grow together as well.