T-Mobile contract expires 28th, want to buy iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UncleWalt, Jun 16, 2008.

1. UncleWalt macrumors newbie

My T-Mobile contract expires on the 28th of June and I want to get an iPhone 3G some time in July. I am wondering if I will lose my number when my contract expires and not be able to port it to a new iPhone.

thanks

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Continue with your T-Mobile account, then go to Apple Store and buy your 3G iPhone, then activate your account via iTunes, they'll port your number for you, then T-Mobile will work out any monies that are owed to you. You may want to go to an AT&T Store first. :cool:

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i might be wrong, but i think you SHOULD NOT continue with your account (unless i misinterpreted). after your account expires on the 28th, you will be paying "month to month" so there is no need to do anything. just buy your iphone and have them port the number for you. you will pay a prorated amount for the june 28- june xx cycle. If you cancel your account you will lose your number.

4. spazattack674 macrumors regular

As far as I know, that's correct. My contract expired the 10th of June, and I have taken no action. I plan on buying the iPhone 3G and porting my number over to AT&T which will automatically cancel my T-Mobile service and allow me to keep my number.

5. UncleWalt thread starter macrumors newbie

that is exactly the information I needed. I guess I was just confused about what would happen when my contract expired, I was unaware that it would go month to month after that. This makes me quite happy.

6. mylexon20s macrumors regular

mylexon20s

I just recently left the cell phone business. The way it works is this :

Keep your account with old service provider active.
    Goto AT&T and tell them you would like to transfer service to them, they will "port" your number in using information from the account holder and the account information such as,

Old Service Provider Name, Account Number, Name on Account, and Social of account holder for verification during port.

The port takes usually about 5-10 minutes before you can make and receive calls, but it could take up to 48 hours.

When the port is completed, your old Tmobile account will be closed and you will now have your tmobile number on AT&T.

The only thing left is your final bill which your old service provider will send you.

Hope this answered your questions.

7. trilla12 macrumors newbie

Additional T-Mobile contract question

Yes, this is all true.* But if my T-Mobile contract ends at the END of July, what would you (anyone) recommend?...

A) Cancel your T-Mobile on the 11th and get AT&T to pay the ETF.
    B) Set up your iPhone with a new number, finish your T-Mobile contract and then port your number.
    C) Stop being a dork and just wait until the end of July to get your iPhone, they're not going to sell out.

Feel free to elaborate or alter these options.

*I don't know if I was supposed to start a new thread for this related question.

8. -M7- macrumors member

I would do B) because I'm too much of a dork to wait for C)

9. TheFam macrumors member

Can someone elaborate on this for me, cause im planning to pay the ETF and hop on with AT&T on the 3g iphone launch, and if AT&T pays the ETF, I will be estatic.

10. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

AT&T won't pay the ETF. No US phone companies do, at least not directly. All the companies do offer discounted or free phones to new customers though, regardless of whether you are in a contract with another carrier or not.

Buy an iPhone 3G on launch day. Port your number to the new phone and doing that will cancel the contract with your current carrier. Clean up your old phone and put it on eBay. You'll have the phone sold and have the money from the sale in the bank by the time the final bill arrives. The sale might not cover the full cost of the ETF, but it will help.

11. TheFam macrumors member

Darn........my hope was up for a minute, lol........thanks for the info merlosso

12. lrdiaz macrumors member

Cellular South( a US Company) paid ETF thru the end of May-08. I ported from Sprint.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No AT&T will not pay your ETF; and they definitely won't pay if your billing cycle and contract ends that month!

14. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

I stand corrected.

15. minik macrumors 65816

Currently I'm using T-mobile with 3 lines. This afternoon, I called T-mobile and would like to know when will the contracts run out.

Interestingly, one of my phones doesn't have a contract with T-mobile anymore, I brought in an unlocked Nokia smartphone (phone #1) and later added phone #2. Phone #2 expires on July 10, and phone #3 expires on somewhere next year.

My plan is just keep using phone #1, #2, and #3. Get one iPhone 3G on July 11 and port the phone #1 number. Goto T-mobile and get rid of phone #2 line/number as well as changing phone #3 from Family Plan to individual.

It sounds complicated.

16. MojoWill macrumors 6502

one important thing to remember is that all cell phone contracts are not a fixed term they are minimum term.

meaning that whe you reach the end of your 18 or 24 months you then have the option to give notice to cancel the contract (usually 30 days) of course you can give notice 30 days before the anniversay date of your contract.

Also when porting once the port is put through by the new supplier (AT&T for instance) that will then serve as your notice to T-Mobile. SO you WILL be paying for 2 lines for 30 days at least there is NO WAY around this unfortunately.

17. davariable macrumors newbie

T-mobile announced that they would be raising the text messaging rates. If you don't have a plan, you have up to 14 days to reject these terms (in perfect time for the 3G iPhone launch). I was in the same predicament until today (quite close actually; my contract expires on the 23rd).

Information here: https://my.t-mobile.com/Promotions/...et=Pro_Pro_MessagingRate&WT.mc_n=SMSPrice_GTL

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is actually not a link that anyone (even other T-Mobile subscribers) can follow, and I can't find a release for what you're mentioning... could you please block quote the important part here?

19. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

T-Mo told me that if I want to move my number before the end of the contract period (mine expires on 19 July) I will have to pay £45 for them to pass over the number to o2. Needless to say I told them I'd rather just take a new number!

20. davariable macrumors newbie

The link was copied from somewhere else and worked for me, but here is the important text:

Also, if you log into My T-Mobile, look under "Get the Latest" Heading. The release should be there.

Here's the text from the contract that allows for this:

If you signed a contract after 06/28/08, you actually have 30 days instead of 14, but I know that doesn't apply to the OP.

(Btw, I can only speak for contracts with T-mobile in the United States)

21. shecky Guest

shecky

that is FANTASTIC news! a way out of my t-mo account!

EDIT:

ok i just spoke to Tmo and they told me that i have 30 days to cancel (i have had this contract since feb 2007) from the date of the notification (which is today, right?) without an ETF. when i asked the rep about number portability, etc.. she said that all i need to do is sign up with a new provider just like i normally would, have the number ported, and because i am doing that within the 30 day window, i will not need to do anything else; they will cancel the contract and NOT charge the ETF.

having said all that, i will call back and speak to a manager in a day or two and verify what she told me :)

me = happy :)

EDIT#2: this is what their 'terms and conditions' say under my tmobile on their site:

so it does look like i have 30 days from date of the notice.

EDIT#3 daviarable was right - its 14 days for those who signed contracts before 2 days ago. see my post on page 2 of this thread for more info.

22. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhh, thanks. I might have already dismissed that note and so didn't get it when I logged back in. It kinda went in one ear and out the other, since I have an SMS plan. :eek:

24. shecky Guest

shecky

its true! :) see attached screenshot from MyTmobile

Attached Files:

25. The General macrumors 601

Sorry, I don't know if it was just a typo or something, but this has been eating away at me ever since I first read it.

It's "ecstatic" ... and the reason it's been eating away at me is because one of my biggest pet peeves is pronouncing words like "espresso," "especially," "escape," and "et cetera" correctly. Up until now, I'd never heard any mispronounce the word "ecstatic" ... and I know you didn't mispronounce it, you misspelled it, but I just wanted to make sure that you knew the word was "ecstatic" in reference to "ecstasy" and not "estatic."

Okay, I got it off my chest. :D