Carrier T Mobile Contract Free for AT&T users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by unixphone, Sep 12, 2014.

1. unixphone macrumors regular

hello all,
    i ordered a t mobile "contract free" 6+ and pla to use it on my grandfather att unlimited data plan.
    can someone answer the following three questions?

can i use att sim card activate the t mobile phone. if not, can i use my friend's t mobile existing sim?
    is tmobile tethering needs activation like att?

if this will not work, shall i look into purchase an unlock one from hong kong?

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

The phone is NOT unlocked for domestic use. It must be on a T-Mobile account for 45 days before it can be unlocked.

3. iluvbeer99 macrumors member

if he ordered off the apple website it will be unlocked.

4. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

No, it will not be.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yes it will. You can only buy locked T-Mobile iPhones from T-Mobile. The ones sold by Apple are unlocked.

6. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

This has been debated to death in other treads and the fact is no one will really know 100% for sure until phones start arriving. I'm banking on it being unlocked because I ordered one for use on att.

7. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

ok, I ordered one, if it happens that it is LOCKED , than can I replace it for an unlocked one at the apple store ?

8. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Should be unlocked. But if not, you should be able to exchange it if they have the stock.

9. illutionz macrumors 65816

If you purchased the contract free version from Apple website then yes it is unlocked. Just take out the T-Mobile simcard and restore. It will say it's unlocked.

If you purchased from T-Mobile directly it will be locked and you have to wait for a 40-45 days before you can request unlock.

10. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

THANK YOU for putting both these comments into one post. It drives me nuts when some people who don't know what they're talking about say it'll be locked because they misread or misunderstood. Every phone in Apple's back room is unlocked. Apple's policy service applies whatever policy goes with the purchase. Full price\non-contract T-Mobile phones get the remain-unlocked policy, the others when purchased with contract get the lock policy applied.

The funny thing is what a big deal people are making of it... so say worst case you have to remain active for 40 days... buy the Walmart sim and do 40 days of it for $50 ... that's a heck of a deal for an unlock cost, and use it as a hotspot during that time.

But if bought from Apple it's unlocked :)

11. unixphone thread starter macrumors regular

I purchased it via apple site. Can someone confirm tethering function for tmobile? att demands i change my unlimited data plan when i try to activate on the att iphone.

12. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Yeah TMO includes tethering. It'll be enabled on your handset. Like John Legere says "who the #@$#@ are we to say how you use your data?" lol ...

welcome to the refreshing side of T-Mo :)

13. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I bought a T Mobile 5S off Apples website and put my ATT sim card in it and it worked fine. Tethering and all.

The people saying locked never bought one off Apple and are just reading stuff that they read on the internet.