Carrier T-Mobile Credit Check & Device Deposit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beaver82, Feb 15, 2017.

1. beaver82 macrumors member

How does T-Mobile differentiate between "Awesome" credit and "Average" credit? For those that just switched to T-Mobile from another carrier, how was your experience on the credit check and deposit amount on a new device?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Every company has different criteria in the way they judge credit history in order to provide post paid service.
    Everyone's personal situation will be different so you cant really compare credit decisions accurately.

3. roger1955 macrumors newbie

roger1955

I believe my credit was good when I switched from AT&T some years ago, T-mobile did not ask for a deposit. My credit score has gone downhill since (5 years ago) and T-mobile has not hindered me in no way when I have jumped or upgraded to a new device( 3 lines) and I've done this on 10 or more occasions in the last 5 years. So I'm assuming your credit should be decent to bypass a deposit from T-mobile. When I checked into switching to Sprint a while back, they requested a deposit, as I mentioned my credit is below decent/good :(

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I signed up with them about a year and a half ago. Credit was good at the time, I qualified for zero down on the base model iPhone. However, we always get the highest capacity phone Apple offers so that required a deposit of $200 per device (both 128GB models).

Since then I have heard stories that T-Mobile no longer offers zero down.

Speaking to @roger1955, T-Mobile considers you as a customer with good credit if you have made more than 12 payments in a row on time. So, however bad your score may be in general as long as you've done that with T-Mob and are not behind in payments they see you as having good credit.

5. roger1955 macrumors newbie

roger1955

Yea, unfortunantly anything above the base model(32gb) requires a down payment, I just jumped from the 6s plus 64gb (99 deposit) to 7 plus 128 gb (199 deposit) :( just couldn't drop down to 32 gb from 64 gb. I won't be jumping with this 7 plus 128gb since the deposit does not move to the next phone you jump to. :(

6. beaver82 thread starter macrumors member

So basically with any iPhone above the base, a deposit will be required even if you have perfect credit?

7. roger1955 macrumors newbie

roger1955

Yes, that is correct, I believe that's with all the major carriers( Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile & Sprint).

8. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

Not true with Verizon - I bought 4 iPhone 7 plus models- 3 (256gb) and 1 (128gb) all were no money down - only high Cali taxes

My sister really wants TMobile and the only reason she doesn't switch is the down payments on larger capacity iPhones with TMobile

9. Applejuiced, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not a deposit. It has nothing to do with credit. If you have credit then charge the money on a credit card.
    Its like before where you were getting an iphone for $199 with 2 year contract.
    If you pay $99 or $199 it comes off the phone price. You either pay it upfront or spread out over 24 months you're still paying it one way or the other.