T-Mobile customer seeking advice on Data Plans for the future

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hotrock3, Mar 20, 2011.

1. hotrock3 macrumors member

I'm am currently a T-Mobile customer who has a smart phone that is capable of working on T-Mobile's Edge network but not their 3G but I was planning on getting an iP5 whenever it comes out.

So my question is, as a T-Mobile, would it be smarter to upgrade to an Unlimited Data plan on T-Mobile now in order to avoid the AT&T's data caps now that we know AT&T is buying T-Mobile?

I would be okay with buying a second hand iP4 to avoid upgrading to an iPhone Plan with a data cap if it means keeping unlimited data.

Thanks!,
    Hotrock

2. sonnyfazio macrumors newbie

Although the deal was publicly announced today, it likely will take 10-12 months for approval. Large companies require inspection from regulators before a purchase is complete. Looking at Sirius and XM (two satellite radio services that becomes one), it took a while for them to finalize the paperwork and get approval.

That being said, if you think you'll hate the AT&T Data Pro plans, it might be smart to try and get grandfathered in by becoming a TMobile Unlimited company.

I don't think TMobile will be changing how they operate (in terms of pricing or plans) for at least a year. Then they might change all their stores to AT&T stores. Who knows.

3. hotrock3 thread starter macrumors member

Would waiting for the iP5 to come out (this summer hopefully) to pick up an iP4 and then getting the T-Mobile data plan seem like a good compromise? Then I can use the Edge data with my phone until the purchase goes through.

I really really don't want to be limited to 4GB of data on while having to pay more. Right now I could get the Unlimited text and data for $80 + fees and tax as apposed to AT&T's iphone plan being $105 a month with the 4GB cap. My dad goes through almost 4GB of data on his phone and he doesn't use it as much as I would.

What would you do?