T-mobile data plan

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TheKyubi, Jan 14, 2011.

1. TheKyubi macrumors newbie

I just got an unlocked iPhone 3GS and I was wondering if there's another plan besides the smartphone data plan for $30. I just need one that's Edge.

2. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

Yeah, as if you had a choice for 3G. Tell them you want the $10 unlimited data plan and tell them you have a Shadow.

3. TheKyubi thread starter macrumors newbie

Does it matter what phone I use to call them? I heard they can tell what phone you are using and will make you use the appropriate plan. Can I add this $10 plan from their website?

4. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

Add from their website? No. Don't be a wuss, man up and call them. They know what phone you're using but it's not a big deal. Just tell them you have a Shadow or you're going to get one as a gift. I personally have done this before when I had an unlocked phone on USA T-Mobile and it works.

5. TheKyubi thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok let's say I get it, how do I set it up for it to work on my phone? Thanks man you've been a great help

6. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

1. From the Main Menu, tap Settings.
    2. Verify that Wi-Fi is set to Off or Disabled -- this will ensure that no wi-fi signals are interfering with your Internet access. To take advantage of local wi-fi at a later time, feel free to go back and turn this setting On; just make sure to turn it Off again when you are done using the wi-fi network.
    3. Tap General Settings, then tap Network.
    4. Turn Data Roaming On -- this will allow your iPhone to locate T-Mobile’s data network.
    5. If you see a setting for 3G, turn it Off -- the iPhone cannot currently connect to T-Mobile’s 3G network, and this setting will interfere with its attempt to connect to our EDGE network for service.
    6. Tap Cellular Data Network (this setting may be labeled EDGE instead).
    7. In the APN field, enter epc.tmobile.com -- this tells T-Mobile which version of our Internet network you want to connect to. Note: if this does not work, you can try entering in internet2.voicestream.com instead.
    8. Leave the Username and Password fields blank -- T-Mobile will assign this information based on your SIM card information.
    9. Return to the Main Menu and open Safari to browse the Internet.

IF THIS FAILS, you receive a message like “GPRS Not Subscribed”, “Could Not Activate Cellular Data Network”, or the “E” is missing above:

1. Return to Settings, then tap General, then tap Reset.
    2. Select Reset Network Settings (DO NOT reset any other settings. This may relock your device). Your iPhone will turn off, and then turn on again. Please follow the internet setup above.

Let me know if you have issues.

7. GD825 macrumors newbie

if your a new customer and have no existing plan, will they allow you to do a 30 dollar data only plan.. im under the assusmption the 10 dollar deal is the 200 mb plan... and their website lists data only at 50 for smartphones.. so if i call them, i can get data only for 30?

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah the 10 buck one is for only 200MB. The 30 dollar one is for 2GB.

9. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

Don't look online for the deals. ASK them if you can have the $10 Shadow unlimited plan for basic phones. Those expensive plans are smartphone plans but they connect you to the SAME INTERNET.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    And with Edge data on the iphone you wont use much data anyway.
    It is slow.

11. GD825 macrumors newbie

are you sure that the 10 buck shadow plan is unlimited?

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

call and ask yourself if you don't believe or doubt people. ;) A friend I know a teacher favorite word is Verify :cool:

13. TheKyubi thread starter macrumors newbie

I called them and they say the 10 dollar data plan is 200mb

14. Ann P macrumors 68020

I thought they changed it to $15 for 200mb now?!

15. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah that's what I mentioned on my previous post. 10 bucks for 200MB and the other one is like 25 bucks for 2GB.

16. iTouch macrumors 6502

Not sure if you can still get it but I have T-Zones for $5.99 and it's unlimited on my iPhone 4. Works great with MyWi as well.