Carrier T-Mobile data prices dropped AFTER I was initially charged first time?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by divergirl, May 19, 2014.

1. divergirl macrumors regular

Not sure if anybody else is paying for prepaid data on T-Mobile, but I purchased 1 GB of data with auto renew for the first time ever for 20 bucks, though the plan didn't apply right away because I still had some of my free data left. As soon as I used up the free data and was automatically moved onto the 1 GB plan, the price for all auto-renew plans immediately dropped by $10 under my cellular settings. And my current 1 GB plan says it will auto renew for $10.

It looks as this deal is only good until January of next year, but I'm wondering, was I SUPPOSED to not get the deal on my initial activation of the plan? Because they definitely charged me $20 for the gigabyte. I'm wondering if it's something worth contacting T-Mobile about, because I feel kind of gypped. And I'm wondering if I'll be able to start and stop service and keep this $10 deal now, or if it will start again at a $20 if I cancel auto-pay and then start it up again.

Does anyone else have experience with this phenomenon personally?

Attached Files:

2. joplinG5 macrumors member

Contact TMO. They are great about giving credits when deserved and keeping customers satisfied. Should not be a problem getting your initial $10 back one way or another. If a regular CS rep gives you problems (which I doubt)... then Executive Relations will if you contact them. The $10 1GB deal is good through the end of the year... so no problem canceling it and starting back up before then. They may require an additional credit check if you wait too long.

3. JackieInCo macrumors 601

This happened to me too. I paid $30 for 3GB last month and now it says the price will be $20.

----------

I do not have my phones account tied to the iPads data plan. They are separate accounts and I still get the reduced price on the iPad data plan.

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Not sure if this plays into it, but there is a $10 "SIM fee" that gets added to the first month. I was able to get the rep at the store to waive mine when I signed up.

5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

It's not because of that. I have a sim that I've been using on and off since last summer.

I skipped two months and signed up for the $30 plan last month. The sim was free during one of the many sales that they have through the year. I still have three unactivated sims from these sales.

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Oh ok.

7. divergirl thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, thanks guys. I will contact T-Mobile tomorrow and see if I can get back that $10 somehow, whether it be a credit to my credit card or $10 off data next month. Hopefully they'll be able to do something! :)

I will also make sure to ask them if I cancel service and start it back up again while this offer is still going on if I will be charged $20 again for the initial month or if it will automatically start at $10 next time.

8. divergirl thread starter macrumors regular

Just wanted to update! So apparently the promotion for the $10 off until the end of the year actually didn't start until May 18th. The reason why it looked as if the prices dropped immediately on my end is although I bought 1 GB of data on the 14th, I did not run out of free data until May 19th, which is when it switched over to the 1 GB plan and all the prices immediately were updated for the lower rate.

However, despite me signing up BEFORE the promotion even started, when I called T-Mobile and asked about it the guy gave me a $10 credit in my account. He said the next time that I buy a data package, it will use the credit and deduct $10 from the total. In other words, they were super nice even though it really wasn't their problem. Great customer service!

9. sophiamendezzz1 macrumors regular

Maybe initially its 20 a GB and then after that its 10 a GB?

10. divergirl thread starter macrumors regular

Nope! See my above post. ;)