T-Mobile data question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rapidj, Jul 30, 2008.

1. rapidj macrumors regular

So I bought a used 8gb iphone (early edition) yesterday. Last night I successfully unlocked and upgraded to 2.0 for use with my T-mobile sim card and account. The event was flawless (thanks to everyone who put all these wonderful tutorials together!) and I have cell service with all functions the way should be.

Now I want to add data service. I understand they have $5.99 service and a $19.99 service. Will the $5.99 service be sufficient for email, texting and web use? It sounds as though it will based on some of the postings. I guess the real question becomes do I need to make any changes to settings, or once I start up service will I then be able to find the network easily enough and connect as soon as they make it available. This is an area I'm a bit uncertain of

Thanks again
    Kory

2. calvy macrumors 65816

I just went through this with my old phone for my girlfriend who is now using it on tmobile. She signed up for the 9.99 Tzones plan and I had to ssh into the phone and add some proxy info to preferences.plist. You can find that info in the Hacks forums in a thread titled Tmobile and 2.0 or something similar.

3. DeejayPancake macrumors member

I dunno, I guess it depends on what you wanna do.
    Personally, I have the 5.99 T-web service and it works fine for me.

4. showtime macrumors 6502

It depends on what you need out of your data. From what I've read, the 5.99 t-zones hack doesn't work with push so it's useless with mobileme.

The 19.99 total internet plan will work perfectly without any hacks.

If you don't need the push email and would rather save $14 a month the t-zones data plan should work nicely.

5. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

I've got TZones (5.99) and pushed work fine for me... until I turned it off to save battery life. You will have to go through Cydia/Installer app to find the TZones Hack. After you install it, reboot the phone, and voila... it workie.

Plus, 12mo * $20 = $240
    12mo * $6 = $72

Your call. For me? $6/mo plus a little hack is mighty fine.

6. rapidj thread starter macrumors regular

Could someone point me in the direction of what I need to do for the hack? When I unlocked my phone and installed 2.0, it actually installed Clydia on my iPhone, but frankly I don't know what the next step would be. I'm not familiar with the program

thanks in advance
    Kory

7. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

Make sure you've set up and are connected via WiFi
    Tap Cydia.
    The first time you open it, it'll tell you that there are updates... do all updates, then the phone should reboot on it's own.
    Tap Cydia after the reboot
    Tap Sections at the bottom
    Tap "All Packages"
    Scroll down to the T's (or tap the "T" on the right side)
    Tap "TZones Hack"
    Install it
    Reboot phone
    Voila

(This assumes that you've signed up for TZones already... although, you could probably do it in advance, I guess)

EDIT: Oh and sometimes it hangs up a bit when switching from Edge to WiFi, and WiFi to Edge. You gotta play with it a little bit. I always go to Safari first and load Google or something to make sure it's working, then go for Mail or Weather or whatever.

8. rapidj thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome! Thanks for the help. Ill give it a go tonight!

9. rapidj thread starter macrumors regular

One other question. My T-Mobile appears to give me the options for T-MobileWeb for $5.99 and T-Zones Pro for $9.99. T-MobileWeb is what I want, correct?

thanks

10. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

5.99 is what I have