Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile today announced that all of its customers have "Magenta Status," allowing them to access "one-of-a-kind" benefits from premium brands and services. T-Mobile says that customers can get discounts from "the biggest brands" like Hilton and Hertz.

t-mobile-magenta-status.jpg

Some of the deals include 15 percent off Hilton hotel brands, no fuel refills at drop off at Dollar Rental locations, one $5 movie ticket per month, and 25 percent off some shows at Live Nation amphitheaters and venues. T-Mobile says that customers can get up to $1,500 a year in extra value.

Magenta Status perks are in addition to the T-Mobile Tuesday rewards, with T-Mobile today adding a new "Tuesday" freebie from Little Caesars.

The new Magenta Status rewards can be viewed in the T-Mobile Tuesdays app after updating to the latest version.

Article Link: T-Mobile Debuts 'Magenta Status' Rewards for Subscribers

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
You think Magenta status is great... After switching from T-Mobile to PureTalk, I save about half the money I was shelling out for better coverage in my area. Sure, I don't have some of the perks, but I'm saving a ton more over the long haul.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
How about less of this BS and a lower bill instead?

After many years of being a happy TMob customer I switched over to Mint cause it was a lot cheaper and I work from home these days mostly.

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was losing the autopay discount if using a credit card (they wanted me to link my bank or pay an extra $5). I liked autopay because don't pay late fees, and I liked paying on my credit card because it insured my cell phone against loss. Annoyed me to the point that underwent the hassle of porting over my number to a competitor.

TJovian

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
Instead of passes and subscriptions why can’t the wireless carriers just offer us a discount on our service for sticking with them as loyal customers? Do people actually choose a carrier because they can get 6 months of free Disney + access?

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
Instead of passes and subscriptions why can’t the wireless carriers just offer us a discount on our service for sticking with them as loyal customers? Do people actually choose a carrier because they can get 6 months of free Disney + access?
If you were going to use it in any case and the numbers/finances work out, why not….

NYCValkyrie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2019
As long as they keep the free MLB.TV, I won't complain.

What's funny is that I stuck w/ TMO for the free MLBTV but I finally did a cost comparison between TMO, Mint & US Mobile. Turns out, I save more $ by switching to USM and keep the same service even if I pay for all the "free extras" on my own. MLBTV, Apple TV, AAA, plane WiFi - so I switched. Only thing I don't have is Apple Watch cellular service but I haven't really missed it.

Reactions: timeconsumer

supergt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2019
T-Mobile has sucked ever since Legere left. He took the “uncarrier” with him. I’m still with T-Mobile due to a cheap legacy plan but they have become worse in every measurable way. If they kill my plan I’m bouncing. Not happy with the legacy carrier they have become.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
What's funny is that I stuck w/ TMO for the free MLBTV but I finally did a cost comparison between TMO, Mint & US Mobile. Turns out, I save more $ by switching to USM and keep the same service even if I pay for all the "free extras" on my own. MLBTV, Apple TV, AAA, plane WiFi - so I switched. Only thing I don't have is Apple Watch cellular service but I haven't really missed it.
I’m on Metro and only pay $25 for unlimited with their bring your own phone promotion. I don’t have tethering, but I don’t need it and still get free MLB.

Reactions: NYCValkyrie

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The straw that broke the camel's back for me was losing the autopay discount if using a credit card (they wanted me to link my bank or pay an extra $5). I liked autopay because don't pay late fees, and I liked paying on my credit card because it insured my cell phone against loss. Annoyed me to the point that underwent the hassle of porting over my number to a competitor.

FWIW for anyone interested, I set up a free debit card account at DiscoverBank that I use to pay T-Mobile. I auto-push funds to the account monthly to keep it funded. Took a a few minutes to set up, retains the autopay discount, and protects my primary account.

As for overall cost vs other options, we’re on a 55+ plan and I have the $5 500MB Apple Watch plan. Haven’t yet found a prepaid carrier supporting that plus our phones for less (including the value of the On Us stuff we use)

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
How about less of this BS and a lower bill instead?

After many years of being a happy TMob customer I switched over to Mint cause it was a lot cheaper and I work from home these days mostly.

That’s interesting. I still have the $10 discount for using autopay. I am on a grandfathered plan so maybe that’s the reason?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.