T-Mobile Debuts New Business Plan, Other Perks at Un-Carrier 9 Event

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 18, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At an event in New York City this morning, T-Mobile unveiled its ninth Un-carrier initiative, which is aimed at business owners. T-Mobile CEO John Legere took the stage to unveil a simple new plan for businesses small and large, which is priced up to 40 percent lower than similar business plans from AT&T and Verizon.

T-Mobile's new business plan is priced at $16 per line for businesses that use under 20 lines, and at over 20 lines, the price drops to $15 per line. 10 lines (the minimum allowed), for example, costs $160, while 100 lines costs $1,500. At 1000 lines, the price drops even further, to $10 per line.

[​IMG]
    Each line comes with 1GB of data, and T-Mobile is giving businesses multiple options for purchasing additional data. Data can be purchased per line or pooled and distributed between many employees. Pooled data costs $4.75 per GB at a 100GB minimum and drops to $4.25GB at 1TB, but there are also options to purchase unlimited data for $30/line or 2GB of data for $10/line.

[​IMG]
    T-Mobile is also partnering with GoDaddy to give business customers a free domain and a free mobile site. This deal is available for any business customer with at least one line that has additional data. Through a second partnership with Microsoft, T-Mobile is offering customers a free custom email.

Customers who have a T-Mobile business line through work will be able to get discounted service for their families as well, using T-Mobile's new Business Family Discounts plan. With a standard cell phone family plan, the first line is the most expensive and the second line is less expensive. At T-Mobile, this works out to $50 for the first line and $30 for the second line. With Business Family Discounts, the person's work line counts as the first line, dropping the price of the first family line. According to John Legere, this can save families of two up to $438 per year, and it's available to all T-Mobile customers beginning today.

On the consumer end, T-Mobile's announced "Carrier Freedom," which is an expansion of the company's pledge to pay early termination fees. T-Mobile's early termination payments now cover device payments and leases, letting customers on plans like AT&T Next switch to T-Mobile. The company will pay up to $650 per phone to customers who switch carriers.

T-Mobile's final "One More Thing" announcement was the "Un-Contract," which ensures that customer's rates may go down, but they won't go up. All of the company's promotional plans are now permanent, and no unlimited data plan will change for two years.

[​IMG]
    Over the course of the last two years, T-Mobile has aimed to disrupt traditional mobile service with its "Un-carrier" initiatives. The company began with uncoupling device costs from service costs in 2013, and then went on to offer several additional incentives to encourage customers to switch to the carrier, including paying early termination fees, offering a JUMP! upgrade plan, unlimited texting and 2G data in 100 countries, free streaming music from Spotify, Rdio, iTunes Radio, and Pandora, one week free trials to test the T-Mobile service, Wi-Fi calling, and data rollovers.

Article Link: T-Mobile Debuts New Business Plan, Other Perks at Un-Carrier 9 Event

2. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Go T-Mobile! They're the only carrier shaking up the industry, and I'm staying with them!

3. rohitp macrumors regular

rohitp

The only thing that can make T-Mobile perfect is improving data coverage. It's great where I live (Austin) but is spotty outside of major metro areas here. Only a problem when I'm driving somewhere...

4. bennibeef macrumors 6502

Its crazy that T-Mobile in the US is all about uncarrier and shaking things up but mother T-Mobile Germany(Telekom) is there doing nothing like it and is like the traditional carriers

5. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

This is great, except when your traveling on a business trip and you find your iPhone 6 switching back and fourth from EDGE to 4G to No Service.

6. fluchtpunkt macrumors member

In Germany they are simply not the underdog...

7. alent1234 macrumors 603

t-mobile is nice until you are on the phone with a customer and lose the call in the elevator and then you just punch and kick the air like they do on those stupid commercials

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Looking forward to hearing AT&T respond to this.

Having T-Mobile shake up the market is good for all cellular customers, whether they're with T-Mobile or not, because if AT&T wants to keep me, they're going to have to offer me something for staying similar to what T-Mobile would offer me for leaving.

----------

Eh, that happens no matter your terestrial provider.

If you want some truly global service, you'll have to get a satellite case + plan for your iPhone, and those are realllllly expensive.

9. mattwallace24 macrumors regular

I was in Mexico with a group of friends last month and one commented "I get better coverage with T-Mobile here than I do at home!" :D

...but he was the only one of us who could roam for free...although the speeds reminded us of dial-up days. Now if they'd open up free international roaming to 3G, that would be enticing.

10. neuropsychguy macrumors 65816

neuropsychguy

The business plan requires 10 lines at a minimum.

11. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I'm still waiting on their "adding more towers to improve our coverage" un-carrier event.

12. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Perhaps but they really suck to be honest.

13. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

I gave T-Mobile a try in the Boston Metrowest area. I liked the price and the amount of data, but its hard to use data when the coverage is so bad.
    At one point my iPhone said it had "GPRS". seriously. Most other times I would be lucky to get "edge". So when they offer unlimited data, at least you know you wont be throttled if you go over 5GB since it'll never happen.

YMMV since if you don't travel much and your area has good coverage its good pricing.

14. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Yeah I'd love to try out T-Mobile, but in my area the coverage can be pretty spotty from what I've heard. Actually I've heard from many people that it's spotty all over and not very fast. Verizon is pricey but it's fast and everywhere with great customer service that keeps giving me free data. I know I've mentioned this before, but when I started with them in late 2012 (previously with AT&T) after the iPhone 5 launched I had 2GB of data and now for $10/mo cheaper I have 7GB. The latest free thing they gave me, which I'm not sure if I've mentioned, is free data for our iPad Mini 2. I called to cancel it and they were like "Oh ok, you can have iPad data for free then." I'm almost certain that T-Mobile is a big reason why they're acting this way, but as long as they keep me happy then I don't care.

The best thing that ever happened to the US cellular industry—at least for the consumer—was the government's rejection of AT&T's merger with T-Mobile. Let this be a lesson that sometimes anyone can get things right. Even the federal government.

15. darkslide29 macrumors 65816

I want t-mobile, but I don't get tmobile signal in my San Francisco office building. I am a special case where I am in a basement level office with no windows (yes, it's as sad as it sounds). Absolutely no signal from tmobile (or Sprint, as told by others) down here. ATT and Verizon both work fine though, a decent LTE signal. I understand it has to do with the lower frequencies that ATT and Verizon own are much better at building penetration than what T-Mobile has. That's a shame, as it forces me to stick to ATT.

16. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

Yeah, well I have Verizon in a major metropolitan suburb and have the same problem all around my house. For a lot more money per month...

17. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

All good things, but I'd love to see an Uncarrier event where they announce real, tangible benefits for existing customers that can be felt immediately. It has been a while.... WiFi calling, which I LOVE, was the last one.

18. tennisproha macrumors 65816

I would switch to tmobile in a heartbeat if they had coverage at my home.

19. Terrin macrumors 6502

I have been using T-Mobile in the Ann Arbor Michigan area for over six years and the coverage is great. In the last two years it has even gotten better. Further last year there was a national test of all the networks and T-Mobile's average speed and data coverage compared to the other big three was second only to AT&T and only slightly. Verizon was very competitive in third place, and sprint a distant fourth. So there maybe areas in the country where T-Mobile service is not that great but on average nationwide is very competitive.

20. poe diddley macrumors regular

If their coverage didn't completely suck in this area i would consider using them. I like what they are trying to do but they can't even compare to verizon in this region.

21. grahamwright1 macrumors regular

grahamwright1

IF you have an iPhone 6 they support calls over WiFi, and that works great. If you don't. they have a micro-cell you can get from them for $25 and it does a good job at my home giving us a 1-2 bar signal where we had zero bars before.

22. Gildarts macrumors regular

I really don't understand why every American hasn't jumped to T-mobile yet. If they were doing half the things they're doing in the US in Europe they would be the biggest carrier by now.

I really love the un-carrier movement but I think it's under appreciated in the US.

We don't have the US drama with our carriers here in Europe but that doesn't make the initiatives less attractive.

23. CEmajr macrumors 601

24. mmartinezs macrumors regular

Glad i switched to t-mobile, get great service

25. Stoodo macrumors member

That's why on business trips I always drink a fifth.