T-Mobile doesn't care about hacked iPhones?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GatorFan15, Jul 17, 2008.

1. GatorFan15 macrumors newbie

Hey guys..SO I FINALLY HACKED MY IPHONE..and i've heard people have called T-Mobile to get their stuff fixed or whatever and have notified T-Mobile that they are using an iPhone. Clearly, T-Mobile has to know they are hacked, so i was wondering why they dont care.. and also just to confirm that what i've read is true and that T-Mobile does not have a problem with these phones..

thanks

2. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

When I called T-Mobile to ask a question about ending my service and switching to AT&T, the T-Mobile rep actually tried to sell me on unlocking the iPhone to use on the T-Mobile network.

3. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

It's because T-Mobile wants to keep you as a customer. They don't care what phone you use.

4. dquattlebum macrumors member

When I called T-Mobile to add the internet packages to my account the asked what phone I had, and I told them the iPhone. The guy was like "cool, do you need help setting it up?"

They're getting your money, thats all they care about...

5. GatorFan15 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Haxxxess macrumors newbie

Why would they care ?

Its a business, and you using their service.... Now Apple and A&T would care if they knew you are using tmobile

7. showtime macrumors 6502

They rather get some of your business than none at all. They can't lose anything from you using an iphone on their network.

8. nerdbert macrumors regular

nerdbert

IIRC unlocking of phones is not illegal in the US, because it is part of some DMCA exemption (correct me if I'm wrong). Therefore the carrier has no reason whatsoever to refuse service. And as others have noted, they want to make a buck.

Another aspect: Some 1st gen iPhones have been sold without a lock (in Europe), so even if it was illegal they couldn't tell the difference, because you might be one of the very, very few people having one which was unlocked by Apple.

A little side note: Maybe someone knowing more about "international" law could enlighten me on this one: Let's assume I unlock an iPhone in the US and bring it to a country where unlocking is not legal. Am I liable for violating local law? I mean technically I didn't do anything wrong in the other jurisdiction.

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Hmmmmmmm I don't think unlocking is illegal anywhere.