Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BingeOn-Tmobile.jpg
T-Mobile announced today that its free unlimited video streaming program Binge On now supports an additional 13 services, headlined by NBC and video content from existing Music Freedom partners Google Play Music, Radio Disney, Spotify, and TIDAL.

The other additions include Great Big Story, Kiswe, Ligonier Ministries, NOGGIN, Qello Concerts, Univision, Univision Noticias, and Toon Goggles. Binge On now supports over 80 video services in the United States.

Binge On is a free incentive that enables T-Mobile customers on a qualifying Simple Choice plan to stream unlimited 480p video from dozens of partnered services, including Netflix, HBO NOW, Hulu, and YouTube, without any of the data consumed counting towards their plans.

T-Mobile added 16 new Binge On and Music Freedom partners in April.

Article Link: T-Mobile Expands 'Binge On' Free Video Streaming to NBC, Spotify, and More

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
T-Mobile is really doing some great things for their customers. Other carriers need to follow.

I'd agree with you, except perhaps in this instance ... Legere can dress it up all he wants, but essentially Binge On is just data throttling. But it is great for people with smaller data plans or who aren't on unlimited; it's just not for everyone.

The thing is, all of the controversy about Binge On could have been solved if it was simply an opt-in service rather than an opt-out. That's it.

ike1707

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
I'd agree with you, except perhaps in this instance ... Legere can dress it up all he wants, but essentially Binge On is just data throttling. But it is great for people with smaller data plans or who aren't on unlimited; it's just not for everyone.

The thing is, all of the controversy about Binge On could have been solved if it was simply an opt-in service rather than an opt-out. That's it.
Concur

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Does that mean they would throttle sound quality on TIDAL? Because that would defeat the point of having a TIDAL subscription.
Yes and no. Yes TIDAL would get swept up in the wave <-- see what I did there? - but you can opt out of Binge On for your TIDAL streaming <-- and there?. After that, it smooth sailing.

/shoots self for really bad joke

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016

I'm not a T-Mobile user. However, was considering switching carriers. It appears T-Mobile has been in the spotlight more so than normal.

georgewillow

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012

Yes that would fix everything because clicking a button is so difficult.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I wish there was an option for 720p streaming. Whether I have to pay an extra $10/mo, or it just subtracts out like half the data when streaming 720p, I don't care. I mean, 480p isn't too bad on a phone, but on my iPad 720p would be better.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
I wish there was an option for 720p streaming. Whether I have to pay an extra $10/mo, or it just subtracts out like half the data when streaming 720p, I don't care. I mean, 480p isn't too bad on a phone, but on my iPad 720p would be better.

10 is a lot. I pay 20 for unlimited on T-Mobile, I could see $3-5 a month more for 720p

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yes that would fix everything because clicking a button is so difficult.

I see you've had your morning glass of prune juice.

I was just pointing out that for all the controversy that Binge On got -- and it has got lots of controversy in the media, which in itself caused bad TMob publicity, and forced Legere to publicly defend the decision with Twitter Q&As -- all of this could been avoided just by making it opt-in.

For instance, there were a large number of users who were unaware about Binge On, and suffered with streaming quality/video buffering as a result of it automatically being applied to their account. After calling TMob support, they suggested turning off a feature that they didn't know had been applied.

All of that could have been so easily avoided by the carrier just by making it opt in. I really can't believe you'd advocate otherwise.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
10 is a lot. I pay 20 for unlimited on T-Mobile, I could see $3-5 a month more for 720p
Coming from Verizon, I would definitely pay $10/mo for unlimited 720p streaming. I mean, video is like the #1 thing that eats my bandwidth, so I try not to use it. That would be incredibly cheap, lol. I'm pretty sure T-Mobile doesn't have any $20 unlimited plans whatsoever any more, haha. That sounds crazy. When I priced it out the other week, my wife and I could each get 6GB for like $80/mo, and I think that was even after my work discount. But I think even that was a limited time promotion.

jumanji

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
Austin, TX
we switched and the service is generally nice. it does drop calls much more frequently than AT&t though. if they can fix that, it would be much appreciated

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005

Have to disagree. They did the right thing. You can you imagine the crap they'd get that they advertise free streaming for these services only for a customer to find out that all the streaming they THOUGHT was free, is actually being counted against them?

Hell if you do, hell if you don't. They chose the right one because the other would have probably resulted in a lawsuit for false advertising.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Have to disagree. They did the right thing. You can you imagine the crap they'd get that they advertise free streaming for these services only for a customer to find out that all the streaming they THOUGHT was free, is actually being counted against them?

Hell if you do, hell if you don't. They chose the right one because the other would have actually been costing people money rather than the speed of a connection.

Hmm, I see what you mean. But I guess that's where marketing comes into. Something like "make sure you sign on for Binge On", etc.; as long as it's marketed in a way that means you need to sign up for it. Even an SMS to everybody outlining you can sign up by following <URL in SMS>... I dunno.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
we switched and the service is generally nice. it does drop calls much more frequently than AT&t though. if they can fix that, it would be much appreciated
Turn of VoLTE, I actually have never dropped a call since. VoLTE is too new I guess and too many bugs.

buegelfrei

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011

BingeOn-Tmobile.jpg
T-Mobile announced today that its free unlimited video streaming program Binge On now supports an additional 13 services, headlined by NBC and video content from existing Music Freedom partners Google Play Music, Radio Disney, Spotify, and TIDAL.

The other additions include Great Big Story, Kiswe, Ligonier Ministries, NOGGIN, Qello Concerts, Univision, Univision Noticias, and Toon Goggles. Binge On now supports over 80 video services in the United States.

Binge On is a free incentive that enables T-Mobile customers on a qualifying Simple Choice plan to stream unlimited 480p video from dozens of partnered services, including Netflix, HBO NOW, Hulu, and YouTube, without any of the data consumed counting towards their plans.

T-Mobile added 16 new Binge On and Music Freedom partners in April.

Article Link: T-Mobile Expands 'Binge On' Free Video Streaming to NBC, Spotify, and More
[doublepost=1463503213][/doublepost]Binge On is a violation of Net Neutrality principles. If the internet is to be free and democratic, ISPs like T-Mobile can not be allowed to favor data transmission from content providers, in essence, setting themselves up as internet gatekeepers who determine the winners and losers online.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
All of the Binge On in the world won't fix the fact that their coverage is terrible. Even Sprint is better than they are where I'm at, despite what their fancy map says.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.