T-Mobile First Gen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mBurns, Jul 23, 2008.

1. mBurns macrumors 6502

Hi guys. I was lucky enough to receive a basically new iPhone a few days ago. I do NOT want to go with AT&T -- I think their plans are too high. What are my options for T-Mobile plans (i.e. cheapest with data and best all around plan). Will I have any issues bringing my iPhone into the T-Mobile store to get them to set it up?

Also: does anyone have a suggestion for a different carrier for the iPhone. I'm not very picky. I have Sprint but I don't mind activating the iPhone if the monthly price is reasonable enough and I have unlimited data. One other thing (I'm a newbie at this stuff), if I bring my phone into Apple to be repaired would I need to restore it? Obviously I have A LOT of questions!

2. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

there are 2 competing cell phone technologies in the USA. GSM and CDMA. the 2 are completely INCOMPATIBLE. there are 3 exceptions, but they are not worth mentioning.

the iphone uses GSM technology and the companies that use GSM in the USA are T-mobile and ATT

CDMA companies are Sprint, Verizon, and Alltel

a good starting article to explain the differences in detail is

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-gsm-and-cdma.htm

3. mBurns thread starter macrumors 6502

Andrew: I appreciate the insight. I realized this which is why I knew I had to go with T-Mobile. Do you have any ideas about plans?