T-Mobile Free 200 MB Data, how do I initiate?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dapetrun, Nov 25, 2013.

1. dapetrun macrumors regular

dapetrun

I have a 3rd generation Verizon iPad that others have successfully switched over to T-Mobile to take advantage of their new 200 MB data offer. I received T-Mobile's micro SIM and installed it, switched off WiFi and turned on cellular but "Safari cannot open the page". Because the error says, "A data connection is not currently allowed".

I also bought a new iPad Mini/retina T-Mobile LTE that is arriving later today. I hope I don't have similar problems setting up this as well.

Contacting T-Mobile's activation support center by phone is frustrating because they all speak broken English and say I have to choose a pre-paid or post-paid data plan to initiate service. I don't understand. Can anyone offer a suggestion? Thanks...

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

When I activated my mother's iPad 2 for TMo.

It was an ATT model passed down from a friend.

I stuck the TMo SIM in, booted it. And Safari loaded right into a TMobile account creation page automatically.

*shrug* Was incredibly easy.

For my new iPad Air. I setup an account through the Setting - Cellular - View Account button.

3. dapetrun thread starter macrumors regular

dapetrun

Others have reported similar experiences to yours. I got my micro SIM from T-Mobile months ago to use for a Verizon iPhone 4S but never activated it, bought the 5S instead. Perhaps there are differences in SIM's that is giving me this problem. Comments?

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Nope, no clue.

If something is tweaked, its something internal to the iPad or in TMobile/Verizons systems. Don't know what that would be as I didn't encounter such.

5. dapetrun thread starter macrumors regular

dapetrun

YouTube setup video

I found this setup video on YouTube and thought I had found the solution. Nope. But perhaps it will help others...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B16wxlCuOw

I could not find account settings to setup the data, not listed anywhere. It must be an incompatible SIM card.

6. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Make sure the Wi-Fi is turned off. Then go to settings, cellular data, and view account. It should then allow you or sign up.

7. dapetrun thread starter macrumors regular

dapetrun

Yes, that is how it should work but it doesn't show me the option to view account, It will do this if I put my Verizon SIM back in but with the T-Mobile SIM in there the View Account setting is just not there.

8. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I would try to shut down your iPad and then re-start. Also have you tried the website activation as explained on the following thread?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1665485

9. dapetrun thread starter macrumors regular

dapetrun

Yes, I tried all that. It doesn't let Safari load any web page as there is no connection. I found that thread earlier and nothing worked the way it did for that member.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Sorry if the following seems like a dumb question but...

With the T-Mobile SIM installed and the ipad on, do you see any bars or dots showing in the upper left corner, does it say T-Mobile there?

Also - you do have T-Mobile coverage where you are? It can be spotty inside a building even if the coverage maps say you're okay; one of my work office buildings gave me no service on one side of the building and moderately decent service on the other side.

As I remember from when I set up my ipad3, it took a little while of sitting there with the SIM installed and the ipad on before the cellular settings updated and then I was able to sign up.

11. victoras macrumors newbie

Anyone run into an error when you can set up a T-mobile account on the iPad Mini Retina (and it shows the 200 mb free data when you log in to mim.t-mobile.com) but every time you try to connect to a website in Safari, it takes you to a page to active the device on the account. And when you try to activate the device after entering account info, you get an error that the device can't be activated and to call T-Mobile.

I spent 40 mins on the phone with T-mobile support and their great conclusion was "why don't we try again in 24 hours in case things work by then." Not sure if I'm missing something obvious.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes. 3 iPads Airs, and 5 support calls later it now works.

13. dapetrun thread starter macrumors regular

dapetrun

Yes, with the T-Mobile SIM installed I show T-Mobile and 2-3 bars. But it doesn't show me the option to view account (with WiFi off and cellular on) and it doesn't allow any connection thru Safari as there is no cellular "connection" or WiFi active. I know it will take a call to their Tech Support people but I can only handle their broken English and stupidity in brief amounts before I get too frustrated to continue.

My wife's T-Mobile iPad Mini/r was a breeze to set up and receive the 200 MB monthly data package. I was gonna wait for the next iteration with biometric finger scanner to come out before upgrading mine but I just may sell my 3rd generation Verizon and buy another T-Mobile mini/r or iPad Air. I'd rather do this than give Verizon Wireless anymore of my money for cellular data.