Carrier T-mobile free 200mb data (prepaid)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blupblup, Nov 18, 2013.

1. blupblup macrumors newbie

Went into a a Tmobile store to buy a $10 nano sim kit with broadband internet for my ipad air because I wanted the free 200mb/month.

I activated the sim, but whenever I opened up Safari, it kept coming back to the my-tmobile webpage, so called CS. The woman on the phone did not have a clue. She clearly had never heard of an 'iPad' or 'iPad Air' ('Is that a T-mobile supported device??'), and she did not know about the free 200mb data.

So I just hung up and went into the Tmobile store again last week. The store rep could not activate the free 200mb, he called CS and they set me up with 1gb (I did not had to pay for it) for one week. 'The 200mb will be activated in a few days, we are having some troubles with that'.

But now, a few days later, is see that the free 200mb plan is still pending...

Anyone having the same issues?

Attached Files:

2. Vctr macrumors regular

Nope, all I had to do was pop in the new SIM Card that I ordered from T-Mobile. Once I did that, I went the T-Mobile account registration steps on my iPad and selected "No Data plan". After I did that, the LTE started working

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Mine took over night to activate. I got a message saying that the server was busy.

4. balzmcfearson macrumors regular

balzmcfearson

Same here with att mini. As soon as I swapped in a t-mobile sim it was recognized in cellular settings, I added my name, addr, etc... and was up and running instantly.

5. blupblup thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks y'all for your reply. I hope Tmobile will fix my problem soon...

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

There are hundreds of posts from folks saying it works fine. And a bunch of posts with folks having a problem.

When I run into a cust svc rep without a clue, I just say thank you, hang up and call back. You might have a flakey sim card, so that would not have helped i this case.

7. Atlantis660 macrumors newbie

Activating for me went without a hitch. I was already a t mobile customer for my iphone and I quickly activated my mini retina through the settings menu. Was able to use the LTE connection almost immediately after setup.

Btw, the free 200 mb is great. I can tether from my 2.5 gb plan on my iphone when i really need it, but the free 200 mb is great in a pinch.

8. shadowyman macrumors member

shadowyman

Well you hit the lottery, if only it's depleted your secondary plan gets activated. My 2.5Gig shows pending and 200MB active.

9. leletyM3 macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity. The Nano SIM will cost $10 for the Mobile Internet but FREE for the phones. I assume we need to order the Mobile Internet for the iPad?

10. decon1 macrumors member

The free one works fine for Ipad, make sure it is a nano SIM.

11. blupblup thread starter macrumors newbie

Ow, ok. That sounds good! :)
    Thanks!

12. leletyM3 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer!

13. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Have any of you ended up buying additional data?

14. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I don't have a great need for cellular data, but since I happened to buy a used Verizon iPad, I got a Tmobile SIM for the free 200MB/month.

Sooner or later when I go on vacation, I imagine I would buy a temporary block of data for the week or month from TMobile, since I already have their SIM card in my iPad.

15. blupblup thread starter macrumors newbie

STILL no solution. Don't ever need help from Tmobile :-(
    I'm going back to the store on Monday and I'll ask if they exchange my SIM card. Hopefully that will help...

16. blupblup thread starter macrumors newbie

After a 3 week wait and still no help/reply from the T-Mobile 'engineers', I just solved the problem myself. Decided to delete my account and setup a new one. It works now.

Btw, this might be a good trick if you run out of the 200mb before your the 30 renewal. You basically can have unlimited data that way.

Enjoy!

17. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Side question... I have two TMO sims. Popped one in my wife's new Verizon iPad last night and it works like a charm. If she hits her limit, can I put the other SIM in and get another 200Mb?

18. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Maybe, try it and see.

T-Mobile is locking some sims to the device that they were activated in ONLY for the use of the 200MB free. Not sure how they are doing it but I have four sims activated and for the use of the 200MBs free, they only work in either my iPad Mini or my Nexus 7.

If I add a data plan, after the 200MB is used in whatever device it is locked to, I can then use the sim in either my Mini or Nexus 7 until the data plan runs out. Once I go back to that 200MB free the next month, the sim goes back to being locked to the device it was activated in.

Weird but that's the way it seems to be working for me with four sims.

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

The carrier sees both the device IMEI and SIM ICCID when the device registers to the network. Pretty easy for T-Mobile to keep a database associating the two and restrict access based on whatever rules they choose.

(IMEI and ICCID are effectively unique identification numbers for GSM cellular devices and SIM cards respectively, with the IMEI also containing the manufacturer/model info.)

20. Investor27 macrumors regular

So are you confirming that you have 800MB free each month right now on one device with 4 SIM cards?

21. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I have the 800MB free but two of the cards will only work in my Mini during the use of the 200MB free and the other two will only work in my Nexus 7 during the use of the 200MB free.

If I add a data plan to any of those cards, AFTER the 200MB is gone, I can then use the card in any device, even a phone. Once the data plan is used and a new 200MB plan is added for the next month, the card is once again locked to the device it was activated in again.

22. wmkim macrumors member

I ordered my free T-Mobile nano-SIM over the Thanksgiving weekend. Should be here today. iPad rMini should ship out next week (I bought the AT&T model since I already have phone service w/ them & in case I go w/ a Mobile Share on their network down the road)... hopefully it'll all work...

23. HazChem macrumors regular

I ordered my SIM online from last Friday and received it yesterday. I ordered the free one for smartphones and activated the free 200 MB on my iPad. It was very seamless and pain free.

24. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I switched to pre-paid, and used up my 200MB to see what would happen - and while I bought another 30 days, there was a period for about an hour where, while I was on LTE only, I was always redirected to t-mobile's web page.

Did you try rebooting?