All iPads T-Mobile free 200MB vs. AT&T

Discussion in 'iPad' started by WolfSnap, Nov 13, 2013.

1. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

I'd like someone to correct and/or confirm my assumptions about the iPad Air/iPad rMini.

In looking at the specs, the iPad's this year all have the same baseband chip. They all support the full range of LTE bands. Ignoring, for a moment, Verizon and Sprint's silly "we won't use a non-Verizon iPad" policy and deal with just T-Mobile and AT&T, it seems like buying a T-Mobile tablet might be the best way to go...

If you buy a T-Mobile tablet, you have TM sims out of the box, and it should work with the free 200MB/mo deal -- forever. BUT, given that AT&T is just a sim-swap away (and AT&T is fairly easy-going about activating sims/imei's even if it's not officially an AT&T device)..

Am I right? Is a T-Mobile/AT&T device just basically one sim swap away from being used on either network?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

If you are a current tmobile customer that is. If you have no affiliation with tom, you don't get free data

3. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure you're wrong.....

4. hachiman macrumors regular

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Endgadget seems to be reporting if you're a new customer you have to have a 20 dollar data plan for your free 200mb

Linky

6. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's only if you're buying it via. their pay for it monthly thing. If you buy it outright from Apple, there's no $20 min. The Apple website is pretty clear, "Free". I'll just return it if there's an issue....

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Please let us know. Just been hearing mixed reports on this "free" thing not really being the case

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

100% totally and completely wrong.

(I have 200MB free data on my Verizon ipad3 thanks to the free T-Mobile SIM I ordered a bit ago)

9. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Yes you are correct.

----------

Engadget is joke! I HAVE a T-mobile iPad Air and signed up for free 200MB data without even giving my credit card info.

----------

You are completely WRONG!

10. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Same here. I have my old Verizon iPad 3 working with the T-Mobile 200MB free data. Alas, 90MB was used up in one day just browsing these forums so looks like this is only useful for the Find My iPhone service.

The free 200MB data really is free (after the cost of the SIM card). The only time you need to sign up for a plan is if you get the 0% equipment installment plan from T-Mobile and even then, you still get the 200MB free on top of your paid plan.

11. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

The monthly fee only applies to tablets purchased directly from T-Mobile with $0 money down and 0% APR. Can't get something for nothing.

Otherwise ANYONE with a T-Mobile compatible tablet can simply acquire a Tmo sim card and sign up for the free 200MB directly from the settings menu.

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Engadget is correct.

13. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Yeah i find it interesting how the Verizon model is the exact same as the ATT/Tmobile version but they wont activate you? I always assumed you could like try and get a data SIM only but that's probably not likely.

If you want future Verizon support you could probably buy a verizon version, and then just go to a tmobile store and get a tmobile sim and still get your free data.

14. Rigby macrumors 601

I wonder if the current rules for prepaid account expiration still apply. If so, the account you create while signing up for the "free" 200 MB will expire after 180 days if no payment is made (e.g. by buying one of the data passes):

https://support.t-mobile.com/message/210719

So you may have to spend a bit of money from time to time to keep the account alive.

15. slookx24 macrumors member

Correct.

You only get free 200mb data from T-Mobile if:

1) You bring your own tablet
    2) You purchase a new tablet from T-Mobile outright for the full price
    3) You can get 200mb free + finance the tablet with no interest IF you are already a T-Mobile customer with a post-paid voice plan (You have to have some established credit history with them).

You can choose to add more data and still receive the 200mb in the form of a $10 credit. The $20 500mb plan thus becomes $10/mo for 700mb. The next plan up would be an additional $10/mo.

If you're completely new to T-Mobile and would like to make monthly payments toward an iPad from them, you will be required to add their 500mb data plan for $20/month. They're not going to give you an interest-free loan if you have zero history with them.

16. garya73, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

garya73 macrumors 6502

I didn't even think of doing this until you mentioned it! D'oh. I have an unused T-Mobile sim here (from a T-Mobile phone I won), and I just popped it in my 3rd gen. Took a few minutes of searching, but the APN set itself and I'm up and running on T-Mobile without giving out any information whatsoever. Sweet! Thanks.

4/5 signal strength, 19.91 up, 9.72 down. That's faster than what I get with my Verizon LTE phone!

EDIT: Does not assign a cellular data number - not sure how I would go about signing up for a plan without one?

17. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

you're 100% wrong. If you buy the tablet from anyone besides Tmobile w/ financing you get 200mb data free, just stick a Tmo Nano Sim in and you're good to go.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm not sure that applies. Note that it's from several months ago and says:

My guess is that the free data account stays live so long as you use it every so often.

Worst case get a new SIM.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Glad I am wrong. Thanks for the clarification. I just remember reading that there were some hiccups after the no strings announcement

20. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I bought a iPad Air Verizon model (From Apple) just so I have the option of using AT&T, T-Mobile and VZ.

Currently using T-Mobile for the 200 MB free data plan and paying nothing, sim card was free from Apple Store. :)

21. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

Just to reiterate as well I purchased my iPad Air with Tmobile sim directly from Apple store and signed up for free 200mb data plan zero credit card, no plan, just 200MB of data month. Free... not a previous customer of TMobile either.

22. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

How did you swing a T-Mobile sim from Apple if you bought the Verizon model iPad?

23. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Just asked for a T-Mobile Sim card when I was purchasing the iPad and they gave it for free. Just make sure to specify Nano Sim.

The sim cards they have are just like the ones you get from T-Mobile starter kit.