Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fscklog reports (another report) that T-Mobile Germany is starting to offer substantial discounts on 8GB iPhone sales with a 2 year service contract.

The 8GB iPhone normally costs 399 euro, but depending on the service plan you sign up for, you could get it for a 300 euro discount. The special prices are as follows:

249 euro iPhone with Complete S
199 euro iPhone with Complete M
149 euro iPhone with Complete L
99 euro iPhone with Complete XL

The offer is good only between April 7th and June 30th and the 16GB iPhone remains at 499 euro. The changes have not yet been reflected on T-Mobile's site. This move to introduce subsidized iPhone pricing is interesting, in light of early beliefs that Apple prohibited the practice to avoid reducing the perceived value of the phone.

Article Link

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
if the offer ends on June 30th, does that suggest they also expect new iphones to be out in July and are using this to shift units?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The reason for this offer may be due to both updated 3G iPhones, and possibly slow, disappointing sales of iPhones in Germany thus far. I don't think it's one or the other. I think it's both.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
This offer is limited to 25.000 iPhones.

Now you know, how many iPhones are still unsold and standing in their shelfs... :)

I think there's more than a grain of truth here!

Seriously, the new iPhone must be the worst kept secret in history.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
if the offer ends on June 30th, does that suggest they also expect new iphones to be out in July and are using this to shift units?

Well, the 16 GB model is unchanged, so maybe they're phasing out the 8 GB model? The 3G model would have to be announced and approved by the FCC first (except if it's only marketed in Europe). A 32 GB iPhone would be welcome. I mean, the iPod Touch already has it.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Well, the 16 GB model is unchanged, so maybe they're phasing out the 8 GB model? The 3G model would have to be announced and approved by the FCC first (except if it's only marketed in Europe). A 32 GB iPhone would be welcome. I mean, the iPod Touch already has it.

The iPod Touch has room for it.

edk

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
"249 euro iPhone with Complete S"

is this true????? I don't see a way to configure any iphone with the S package - only M and up.

The main thing stopping me getting a iphone, is the high monthly cost - wish we could order with a cheapo tarrif. :eek:

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
The reason for this offer may be due to both updated 3G iPhones, and possibly slow, disappointing sales of iPhones in Germany thus far. I don't think it's one or the other. I think it's both.

Well, the german tarif for iPhone really suk hard. Pretty much the most expensive cell phone plan around and it's with a terrible carrier (good network, non-existant customer service). All people I know got their iPhones unlocked from some 3rd party and are using their SIM cards.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
The iPhone tariffs in Germany are insanely expensive. That's possibly the main reason for being able to discount as they recover the cost over the length of the contract.

Of course, this does give one more pointer to a new 3G model coming.

michelepri

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rome, Paris, Berlin
I hate T-Mobile. Not only did they send me 2 phones and refused to take one back within the legal timeframe, but now they suddenly drop prices by €200. These are expensive contracts they pushed on customers, almost a rip off, all with the blessing of Apple.

This company is becoming really evil.

Mixalis

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2007
Europe
Not surprising 2G phones not falling off shelf

Like many observers, I am not surprised the 2G iPhone is not an unqualified sales hit in Germany (and, I suspect, in other European countries where it is currently available). I think Apple made the mistake of assuming Europeans would be easily fobbed off with obsolete communications technologies. There's another factor at work in Europe--the reliance of many consumers on having more than one SIM card for different countries where they spend considerable time. This is something Apple haven't appreciated, looking from a US perspective. Apple's marketing policy of locking the phone to one provider (and different ones in every country) is patently anti-competitive. I for one have SIM cards from two different countries and regularly swop them as I travel. I don't mind paying full retail price for an unlocked phone, but this isn't acceptable to Apple, it seems. I am forced to have two iPhones if I don't want to hack the unit.:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.