Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emogu2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
I am able to use the hotspot function on my iPad Air on T-Mobile's FREE 200mb/mo plan. I've read that this shouldn't be the case, and I called them and asked about it and they said hotspots aren't included in the plan, but it might be the case that my device will allow it.

So I'm just confused... can I use it without incurring additional fees or penalties? If my plan shouldn't be allowing it, but my device does it doesn't make sense to me the T-Mobile would just shrug that off without adding some sort of fee.

Similar question about the "Free International Roaming" that T-mobile plans are sporting. I've read that this applies only to phones and not tablets, but I've also read conflicting stories. So my question is first, will I be charged an additional rate/fee for using my iPad's data overseas? And then if so, would buying any of the available domestic plans allow me the free Int'l Roaming? There are daily and weekly plans as well as the monthly recurring ones... will any of those do? Or will I need to buy a specific international roaming plan while I'm away?

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
Personal Hotspot is included on all T-Mobile iPad data plans however the international data roaming applies to only smartphones.

emogu2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
Wonderful, thanks. I guess that explains the international data pass options on my mytmobile page.

emogu2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
And then language like this on T-Mobile's FAQ page about their tablet data plans throws me right back off:

T-Mobile’s Simple Choice Mobile Internet Plan now includes unlimited data and text in more than 100 countries worldwide at no extra charges. Simple Choice MI plans for Tablets and Hotspots offer the same benefit.
Source: https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/mobile-internet.html

Sounds like their standard domestic data plans (e.g. $20/mo for 500mb) include free international roaming after all?

emogu2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
Do the Simple Choice Mobile Internet monthly data plans also not have free int'l roaming on tablets? The faq page on the site makes it sound like this feature is included on tablets as well as phones. Only through word-of-mouth have I heard that free int'l roaming is only for phones.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Do the Simple Choice Mobile Internet monthly data plans also not have free int'l roaming on tablets? The faq page on the site makes it sound like this feature is included on tablets as well as phones. Only through word-of-mouth have I heard that free int'l roaming is only for phones.
It would be easier to call T-Mobile and ask them directly.

emogu2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
Alrighty, so I just got off the phone with T-Mobile. They told me that the Simple Choice monthly plans (e.g 500mb for $20/mo) do include free international roaming at 2G speeds. However the catch is that once you switch to a monthly recurring plan, you can't go back to what you were on before--in my case 200mb/mo for $0--you permanently stuck paying for a Simple Choice plan.

If you want to not be stuck paying and still get int'l roaming, that's what the International Roaming Data Passes are for.

I guess that makes sense, but I haven't heard anyone mention this before--that once you jump on a monthly recurring plan you can't ever get off. Seems a bit off to me. So I guess I'll just stick with the Data Passes going forward.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
but I haven't heard anyone mention this before--that once you jump on a monthly recurring plan you can't ever get off. Seems a bit off to me. So I guess I'll just stick with the Data Passes going forward.

I haven't heard that either. That does sound odd.

Tork

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
However the catch is that once you switch to a monthly recurring plan, you can't go back to what you were on before--in my case 200mb/mo for $0--you permanently stuck paying for a Simple Choice plan.

Nope, you can bounce around plans however you want, including going back to the free one. That's T-Mo's whole mantra -- you're not stuck with or forced to do anything in terms of plans or services. Their call center people are notoriously bad with the information they provide...

emogu2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
Nope, you can bounce around plans however you want, including going back to the free one. That's T-Mo's whole mantra -- you're not stuck with or forced to do anything in terms of plans or services. Their call center people are notoriously bad with the information they provide...
That's what I always thought. It came up when I asked about those monthly plans and int'l roaming. She offered to "switch my plan" over to it now so I wouldn't have to call back and do it later. I thought that was odd, so I asked if I couldn't just add it through my iPad. She said that because it's a permanent plan change they have to do it from their end. And that sounds even more strange. I can log into my account settings in my iPad or My T-Mobile and see the Simple Choice plan options right there.

Ugh, guess I'm still at square one with no answers about the roaming. I'll try them again later. My account has been a mess since I opened it during the iPad Air EIP Free Data fiasco. I currently have a paid up iPad Air, but my account still says I'm on an On Demand plan with EIP. She kept saying that once I get leave On Demand for Simple Choice I can't get back to it, so maybe it's the On Demand that's the issue.

2Xtreme21

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
That's what I always thought. It came up when I asked about those monthly plans and int'l roaming. She offered to "switch my plan" over to it now so I wouldn't have to call back and do it later. I thought that was odd, so I asked if I couldn't just add it through my iPad. She said that because it's a permanent plan change they have to do it from their end. And that sounds even more strange. I can log into my account settings in my iPad or My T-Mobile and see the Simple Choice plan options right there.

Ugh, guess I'm still at square one with no answers about the roaming. I'll try them again later. My account has been a mess since I opened it during the iPad Air EIP Free Data fiasco. I currently have a paid up iPad Air, but my account still says I'm on an On Demand plan with EIP. She kept saying that once I get leave On Demand for Simple Choice I can't get back to it, so maybe it's the On Demand that's the issue.

Having tried to use my iPad internationally with a T-Mobile SIM in it, with only the free 200mb activated, I can confirm that you will get "No Signal" out of the country. There is no international roaming on the free 200mb plan.

emogu2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
Having tried to use my iPad internationally with a T-Mobile SIM in it, with only the free 200mb activated, I can confirm that you will get "No Signal" out of the country. There is no international roaming on the free 200mb plan.

Thanks for that confirmation. Now the question is will any of the simple choice monthly recurring plans get you roaming for free, and will you be able to get off the monthly plans at any time?

2Xtreme21

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
Thanks for that confirmation. Now the question is will any of the simple choice monthly recurring plans get you roaming for free, and will you be able to get off the monthly plans at any time?

From what I've read, you only get the free int'l roaming with the simple choice plan-- and that plan is postpaid. The 200mb is a prepaid one (as well as all the other choices you see when you go to "View Account" in settings) so unless you sign up for a postpaid simple choice plan with your tablet (which I've seen no way to do with a BYOD), I think you're SOL with international roaming.

emogu2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
From what I've read, you only get the free int'l roaming with the simple choice plan-- and that plan is postpaid. The 200mb is a prepaid one (as well as all the other choices you see when you go to "View Account" in settings) so unless you sign up for a postpaid simple choice plan with your tablet (which I've seen no way to do with a BYOD), I think you're SOL with international roaming.

Holy crap you're right. After your suggestion I could finally search for and find the correct T-Mobile FAQ that confirms everything and explains why I've got $10 on my account when it should be free. I thought I was on the free 200mb plan, but it turns out I'm actually on a postpaid account.

In order to get the 200 MB of free data per month, you need to activate a Mobile Internet account and register your tablet on our network. You don’t need to pay for an additional data plan.

If you are a postpaid customer, you’ll need to have an On Demand data plan at minimum which is $0/mo if you are a voice customer (after $10 line credit).
See our postpaid Mobile Internet plans

If you are a Pay in Advance customer, you’ll need to activate a Pay in Advance account. You do not have to a purchase data pass in order to access your free data.
See our pay in advance Mobile Internet plans

Simple Choice Mobile Internet
Includes unlimited web and international roaming in over 100 countries. Simple Choice Voice customers receive a $10 monthly discount when they add a Simple Choice Mobile Internet or On Demand line to their account
500MB $20/month
2.5GB $30/month
4.5GB $40/month
6.5GB $50/month
8.5GB $60/month
10.5GB $70/month
12.5GB $80/month

On Demand Data (Monthly discount makes this option free for T-Mobile Voice customers)
$10/month ($0 w/Voice)
500MB $5/Day
1GB $10/week

Pay In Advance (Prepaid)

200MB Free Data (tablets only) $0/Month
500MB $10/day
1GB $15/week
2.5GB $30/month
4.5GB $40/month
6.5GB $50/month
8.5GB $60/month
10.5GB $70/month
12.5GB $80/month
Source
So being on prepaid, there's no way to "switch on" a simple choice plan with roaming, right? Instead, the plans available to prepaid are nearly the same as SC in terms of rates and data allowance, but they don't include certain features like int'l roaming. And I assume that also means there's no 1-day or 7-day int'l data pass for prepaid either?

I'm so annoyed by this but at the same time thrilled that I've finally cracked their code. I've been told so many different things by Tmo CS and store clerks and website. Finally something clicks into place.

FromtheRight

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
International iPad Hotspot question

If you have T-Mobile Simple Choice Mobile on your iPad and are traveling internationally can your iPad function as a hot spot for your iPhone?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Alrighty, so I just got off the phone with T-Mobile. They told me that the Simple Choice monthly plans (e.g 500mb for $20/mo) do include free international roaming at 2G speeds. However the catch is that once you switch to a monthly recurring plan, you can't go back to what you were on before--in my case 200mb/mo for $0--you permanently stuck paying for a Simple Choice plan.
Couldn't you simply order a SIM card when they are offering them for free and setup a new 200mb plan on that? Or do they tie the account to IMEI?

emogu2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2009
Couldn't you simply order a SIM card when they are offering them for free and setup a new 200mb plan on that? Or do they tie the account to IMEI?

That's what I ended up doing. I was trying really hard to avoid it because I had a $30 credit on that first account that I wanted to hang on to. But after dozens of phone calls and hours on the phone over 3 months of my life with them promising one thing then a different thing, then taking it back, then having no clue what they're saying or what they offer or how anything works, I decided it was worth $30 to put an end to it.

The last straw was when they kept insisting that I, a new TMO customer without the EIP and with a fully paid off iPad, would have to pay $10 a month to get their free 200mb on a prepaid plan. Three different reps told me that and I just said eff it, closed my account, ordered a new free sim and set up a new account from the ground up on my iPad. Haven't had a headache since.

The deal is great, and I love what TMO is doing to the telecom industry, but they have some of the most unhelpful and entirely ignorant customer service representatives I've ever had to deal with. The less you have to talk to them, the better. Even if it ends up costing you a little more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.