T-Mobile HSPA+ delivering 4G Speeds

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snoopy07, May 27, 2010.

1. snoopy07 macrumors member

T-Mobile continues expansion and customer availability of its HSPA+ super-fast mobile broadband network that delivers 4G speeds. Could this be in preparation for the new iphone? T-mobile has a big event due on june 19, stores around the US will open at 8am, could this be the T-Mobile iphone release. Count down to the WWDC has never been so interesting.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Don't listen to the marketing; a 3G network cannot deliver 4G speed. By definition it is 3G speed :)

Now that that's out of the way, I don't see it as likely. There haven't been many rumours about a T-Mobile release, although we have been surprised before. Does anyone know whether there are any chipsets that can do 850/1700/1900/2100 MHz in a single device?

Edit: There appear to be some data cards that can support those four frequencies, but I'm not aware of any phones. One day we'll be able to get all five (the four above, plus 900) in a single phone!

3. carebearsx3 macrumors regular

Dude, look up the Nokia N8. It has a penta-band chip. Coming to Vodafone (UK) in like August or so.

4. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

What do you call a 4G network when its delivering 3G speeds? (3-4 Mbps)

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Wow, you're right! Wikipedia tells me that it's the first device with support for all frequencies. Hopefully many more to come :)

6. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Does anyone know if the rumored next-gen iPhone is thought to be HSPA+ compatible? Is the current iPhone? I looked on Apple's tech specs and it says HSDPA. Being in the US, I guess this doesn't matter much considering ATT isn't exactly on the ball on this issue, but it would be good for future-proofing the phone a little.

7. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

ATT made a big deal about T-Mobile saying their HSPA+ network isn't 4G. ATT said they are misleading their customers to think they are on a 4G network, when in reality, its still 3G. But ATT wouldn't know about misleading their customers, now would they????????

Hopefully the next iPhone supports ATT's HSPA+. It should. Then my iPhone 4 will be ready to handle all of ATTs high speed glory when they enable it in 4 years :)
    Can't even get 0.5mbps where I am. Lovely.