Carrier T-Mobile iPad Air on Verizon

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TechiEmmanuel, Oct 10, 2014.

1. TechiEmmanuel macrumors regular

TechiEmmanuel

Hi!

I have an iPad Air w/ mobile data, T-Mobile branded. From my understanding, all mobile iPad Airs sold in North America are the same, the only difference is in what operator's database the MEID is assigned to.

I wasn't happy with T-Mobile's coverage, speed and reliability on both my mobile and my iPad, so I moved to Verizon and got an iPhone 6. I tried to activate my iPad in-store as well, but they said they couldn't help. I put my iPhone's SIM card in my iPad and showed them that it worked, and they still said no. So I called customer service and played dumb, asking them to activate a Verizon iPad and send out a SIM card, hoping they could manually add the MEID. Again, they said no.

I've read several threads on here with people getting other operators' iPad Airs working on Verizon and Sprint. Can you all help me get this iPad on my mobile share? Or would it be better to sell this and get a Verizon-branded Air 2 (when it's out)?

Thanks!

2. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

If it's like the iPhones, you probably need an already activated SIM card.

3. TechiEmmanuel thread starter macrumors regular

TechiEmmanuel

How would I obtain an already-activated SIM card?

4. TechiEmmanuel thread starter macrumors regular

TechiEmmanuel

Nevermind, I got it working. I went into a Verizon store that sells iPads, and got note of the MEID on one of the display iPads. I used that to order a SIM card online, and got it in the post last week. All is well!

5. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Will that cause issues for someone if they buy that display iPad and attempt to activate it ?

6. TechiEmmanuel thread starter macrumors regular

TechiEmmanuel

No; Verizon's database will be force-populated with the MEID of my current iPad upon activation of the SIM in my iPad. The MEID of the display iPad is no longer shown in the database as "activated", and can be sold and activated just fine.

Since Verizon doesn't recognise the MEID of my iPad, it shows online in My Verizon as a generic device.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Hilarious! Kudos for working the system.

8. TechiEmmanuel thread starter macrumors regular

TechiEmmanuel

Thanks; I'm really happy I used Verizon's own device against them.

9. Bottomtotop macrumors newbie

Would this method work for iPhone 6+ too? Very interested in porting my unlocked phone to Verizon

10. TechiEmmanuel thread starter macrumors regular

TechiEmmanuel

If the phone has CDMA and the right LTE bands, I don't see why not. What phone and operator?

11. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Sounds good. Where did you order the SIM on-line ? I checked out verizonwireless.com and was unable to see where you can buy one.

12. TechiEmmanuel thread starter macrumors regular

TechiEmmanuel

13. Bottomtotop macrumors newbie

Currently on T-Mobile. Unlocked 6+.

So do I just walk into a Verizon store and try to copy one of their smartphone's MEID? & then I call Verizon to buy a new Verizon SIM?

How will the phone number porting work?

14. TechiEmmanuel thread starter macrumors regular

TechiEmmanuel

T-Mobile iPad Air on Verizon

Basically, yeah. It has to be an iPhone 5 or later that you're getting the MEID from, otherwise you won't be able to get a nano-SIM. Then, call Verizon and set up an account, telling them you already have a Verizon device. Give them the MEID you took a photo of or whatever and request a SIM card to be shipped. (I got mine in three days.)

You can port your number immediately or later on (online or by phone). If you port your number immediately, your T-Mobile service will be cancelled instantly. If you port later on, you will see proration on your account. I personally recommend waiting for the SIM card to come and making sure everything is running smoothly before porting.

Hope I've helped!