Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
I have a tmobile iPad mini that is blacklisted. I bought it on ebay last year, and the 4g stopped working soon after that. A few months later I find out that it is blacklisted. Will it still work on AT&T?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
For iPads I'm not sure. I do have a friend who bought a Sprint iPad that was blacklisted by Sprint and still works on T-Mobile if that's anything to go by.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
What is blacklisted exactly?

Either reported lost/stolen or blocked from the network due to nonpayment of monthly service contract.

Blacklisted means the device is blocked from connecting to a particular network due to one of the above conditions.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Or, stop paying for cell access like we did. Between wifi, and tethering from my iphone, we save lots of money.

HouseOfCards

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
If the iPad was being financed and is blacklisted on T-Mobile due to non-payment, it will still work on AT&T. However, if it was reported lost or stolen, it won’t be usable on any carrier.

You can determine which situation you are in by going to t-mobile.com/verifyIMEI.aspx

HouseOfCards

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
It says that it is blocked and will not work on T-mobile's network. So that means it will work on AT&T, right?

Correct. The message you received indicates the original buyer did not finish paying for the device. If it were reported lost/stolen, T-Mobile’s system would have explicitly stated that. Currently, AT&T will only block another carrier’s device when it has been flagged as lost/stolen. So the iPad should be usable on AT&T. It’s worth noting that these policies are subject to change so it’s possible it may no longer be usable on AT&T at some point in the future.

jcarlough

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2014
100 bucks... LOL

Why the LOL? He's right. Who in the world would buy a blacklisted iPad unless they were getting a price that represented the loss of feature?

Assuming that you're going to be honest when you sell it.

Why don't you sign up for a data plan and try it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.