T-Mobile iPad in October?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PracticalMac, Sep 14, 2011.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

With rumors of SprintPad, I think it is a very good chance of a T-Pad.

At the very least EDGE (GSM) supported, but official nonetheless.

And if T-Mobile is supported in US, will Apple officially support iPad 1 on T-M using the AT&T Pad?

Thoughts?

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

If the next iPhone will support T-Mobile band I'm sure the iPad eventually will no doubt about it.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

Apple will not announce EDGE-only iPad support. Ridiculous to even suggest it.

4. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Don't t-mobile run on the same band as AT&T in the US? Over here our 3G iPads are essentially identical to the AT&T model which works on t-mobile (mine has a t-mobile sim active inside of it)

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

Nope. Different bands in the US.

6. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Could you give reasons why not?
    Don't have time to read up about the reasons about EDGE and GSM, but the fact they use SIM cards makes for a relatively easy support.

Again, the point I make is prior iPad models do not officially support T-Mobile, but when T-M is supported why not allow retroactive support?

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

Where's the advantage? Verizon was aggressively attacking AT&T on coverage; giving people the option to go with one over the other created a marketing opportunity. T-Mobile's marketing advantage is 4G and pricing. Giving people neither does not create any opportunity. To do it just to say "we're on T-Mobile, too" and offering Edge-only is silly and pointless. They could do a multi-band GSM but why now? Perhaps when the iPad is updated, but for now it's a pointless move.

8. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

T-Mobile historically is the least expensive of the big 4 carriers (okok, 3 big 1 small), maybe they can do same with iPad 1 data plan (that is if the economics to do so work for T-M).
    Also, their may be users who would prefer to use T-M despite reduced data rate.

Point is, what I am getting at is Apple granting license for iPad owners to use T-M (and I know you will say Apple will not becuase they do not want to set up a situation of low bandwidth giving poor impression of iPad).

More interesting is if Sprint gets an iPad, that suggests their is an interim update to iPad 2 (how much is update I do not know).

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

Pricing could be a draw if the user experience wasn't diminished, but it's not a phone. There's no contract, there's no huge advantage on price. What are they going to do, $30 for unlimited data on Edge? That's like saying "we're having an all-you-can-eat special on 2-week-old sushi."