iPad mini T-Mobile iPad Mini Shipping/Delivery?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by psionicsin, Nov 29, 2013.

1. psionicsin macrumors 6502

psionicsin

Ok so the question I'd like answered is if anyone on T-Mobile has received an iPad rMini 64GB or 128GB since launch?

The stores seems to have tons of 16GB and 32GB available, and Apple readily has them available too. So I'm failing to understand what's going on here exactly.

I placed my order via phone to T-Mobile the morning of the 16th for the 128GB version. At that time I was told 3-5 days to ship. A couple days later I checked on my order, the day range was removed and it's been in limbo ever since.

I've literally called every day since ordering. They've even refunded me my overnight shipping and have offered me free overnight, which is great, but I want my order. I'd be more content with them giving me a semi-solid date, rather than saying "we don't know". That makes the carriers as a whole look like fools.

Now someone has said that carriers should be shipping them on December 2nd, but I would like to know currently who on T-Mo has received a 64GB/128GB version? And how soon after you ordered did you receive it???

2. cjmal macrumors 6502

I placed my order the morning it was available, they cancelled my order and had to place the order again. It's been stuck in "BEING PROCESSED" since that day. I've called twice since then and they first told me that "it should be any day now" and then changed it to "we don't have any other info on it other than being backordered". I have a feeling I won't be seeing my iPad Mini until sometime in 2014.

I know one user on here posted that he/she received their Retina iPad Mini last week though. So who knows...

3. psionicsin thread starter macrumors 6502

psionicsin

Yeah THAT pissed me off. Someone said they ordered their T-Mo rMini/128 last Saturday or something and received it the day before Thanksgiving. However the good news is I called them on Saturday 11/30, and they told me that it should be on my doorstep by Dec. 3-4

4. bronxct1 macrumors newbie

They just charged my bank account so I'm hoping that means mine is shipping either today or tomorrow. They gave me express shipping for free also since I originally ordered with saturday delivery on the 15th when they said they were in stock.

5. cjmal macrumors 6502

I called today because a hold was put on my card and was told that it was "preparing for shipment". Hopefully that means i'll see it soon. Online it still tells me that its being processed so we'll see.

6. bronxct1 macrumors newbie

Just as an update here. I got an email this morning that it did ship yesterday and will be at my door today. I ordered a 32gb on Friday the 15th for those who were wondering.

I actually called after they took the money from my account and all they would tell me is that it was still backordered. So if you see them charge your card, its most likely shipping that day.

7. cjmal macrumors 6502

Same here! Shipped this morning!

8. psionicsin thread starter macrumors 6502

psionicsin

Hmm I feel a bit better now then. I DID get a date told to me of 3-4th on my doorstep. Hopefully there continues to be good news here.

9. psionicsin thread starter macrumors 6502

psionicsin

So I had to get in depth with the T-Mobile sales people, and ended up talking to 2-3 managers in sales about this.

Apparently Apple doesn't abide by normal drop ship standards in retail. Neither do they do will call either (except for at their own store). Regardless of how many orders are placed, they send a set number at a set amount of time.

So if 120,000 people order one day...they only get, lets say, 120 that week
    The next day, 120,000 more people order...but they're still stuck on that 120 until the next shipment, and that's not including the people who are already waiting. They totally disregard the number of orders to be fulfilled in favor of a "we give you this many and that's it" approach.

And to make matters worse, Apple doesn't do store inventory pull for stores that aren't Apple. That's where a store that has it in stock, ships it to the company to give to you, or ships it to you under the name of the purchased company. Which is why every single Apple Store has all makes and model available, while no one else does.

This seems like a very flawed stocking/shipping method (READ tactic) that creates more headaches than customer fulfillment. And, of course, blame is placed on the carriers when in reality they have nothing to do with it and are at the mercy of Apple who has stock piles of these in their stores and back store rooms.

My buddy's a manager at an Apple Store, and he has 60-ish 128GB Silver rMini's (didn't ask about space gray) sitting there in the back of his store. 97% of people coming into the stores are buying the 16/32GB flavors. 2.5% the 64GB, and less than 1% the 128GB.

So...why not ship these out to the carriers instead of holding onto non-moving stock, Apple???

10. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

DAMN that is some ish. What a terrible way of doing things. It's something only a company in such a lofty position of power could do. What are the carriers or third party retailers going to say? "No, we aren't going to work with you!" and risk losing those sales to another retailer who will play ball no matter what. That sucks. Apple, you do frustrate me deeply sometimes.

Anyway, I ordered a 32GB Space Gray iPad Mini with Retina on T-Mobile the other day (I also switched back to T-Mobile for my phone contract). It said to order now as they were shipping soon, but my order status has now changed to backordered, though the estimated delivery date is 12/09/13. Odd. I reckon the thing won't come for another month. LAME.

11. psionicsin thread starter macrumors 6502

psionicsin

Any other stories from people who ordered their T-Mobile iPad rMini 64GB/128GB from T-Mobile?

@TH3D4RKKN1GH7

That is horrible. Especially considering that Apple b&m stores have those readily in stock mostly. You ordered from Apple though, which is different than the rest of us that order via T-Mobile (website,phone sales, etc)

12. mpantone macrumors 6502

That's called an allocation. It's is used when demand outstrips supply.

There are a finite number of units rolling off the manufacturing line. Apple has a pretty good idea of how many they can sell (including different models, capacities, etc.) at their own stores on a daily basis.

Channel partners are given a set allocation; it's really up to them to distribute to their individual stores or to tell Apple how to ship them. If there are lots of particular models at one T-Mobile store, but not another, that would seem to be T-Mobile's fault, not Apple's.

Apple is famous for keeping tight inventory/supply controls. It's one of the main reasons why Apple has gotten to be so successful. It's also one of the big reasons why Tim Cook is Apple CEO.

This begs the question whether or not Apple is better at inventory management than T-Mobile. What do you think?

13. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

No, no I ordered from T-Mobile! I am in the same boat as you lot.

I also think you've completely missed psi's point mpatone.

If Apple is sitting on stock in their stores that is not moving, why are they giving carriers, with long waiting queues, so little stock?

14. psionicsin thread starter macrumors 6502

psionicsin

When I worked retail, it was called an inventory pull. And that went out to partners and/or other stores that needed that stock. Term might have change, but the idea stays the same.

And none of this is T-Mobile's fault. Apple released it and informed all carriers to take orders for it (speaking about web/phone specifically). They knew, especially with T-Mo, that the demand was going to be high. And now suddenly we have people that have been waiting for going on 3 weeks now for something that is NOT even sold out in their own stores (unlike the 5S that was sold out nearly everywhere).

Further more the market for the 64GB/128GB iPads are RARE as the majority of people are getting the 16GB/32GB models. So, again, why they haven't shipped out the stock that's not moving in their b&m's (the 64GB/128GB) is beyond me. And while I understand them taking precedence to their stores first, anything that's not moving (and with the holiday season approaching FAST) should be shipped out to people that ordered it. Mind you they get their $$$ regardless.

Now I did get an update on this from some more sales managers and apparently John Legere ain't happy. Neither are the rest of the carrier CEOs in fact. Their supposed to be having a sit down soon with Apple about opening Cross Stock Inventory Shipping options. What will happen with this is if Apple Stores have them, but the carriers don't...that stock will get moved to local carrier locations (corporate, not affiliated) to fill existing orders in that areas market.

I hope this happens soon...

15. psionicsin thread starter macrumors 6502

psionicsin

Just called again on my way home from work. They are now saying that Apple gave them the next shipment date which is the 18th. The 18th! That is so damn far away. Are they kidding?

16. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

Wow, I wonder how many they actually get in a shipment. Sounds like I won't see mine until February. Lame.

17. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I get where you guys are coming from and it sounds crazy the way Apple handles shipments outside their own stores. Nonetheless, why not just order online directly from Apple for home or office delivery?

I have been looking for an AT&T 32 GB model and those are hard to find even at Apple stores. I found a 32 GB T-Mobile last night at Apple Store in Baton Rouge. I live 2 hours away where we have ZERO T-Mobile coverage less roaming on AT&T. Took my iPad Mini to AT&T this am got a sim and now I am up and running.

What I do not understand is why Apple does not just make these things available and you just request the sim for whatever service you want. This way you are not tied to specific models. I have now used a sim from T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon, they all work because the iPad Mini is unlocked.

18. psionicsin thread starter macrumors 6502

psionicsin

Many carriers offer certain incentives to getting the iPad through them. The BIGGEST one from T-Mobile being that you can finance the iPad and not shell out the entire price ($878.74 after tax for the 128GB LTE version) in one sitting.

19. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Yeah, AT&T gave me a $100 credit just like I had purchased it from them. Nonetheless you make a good point. I still think you just make the iPad mini available and let the carriers provide the sim and whatever promo they want can be connected to the data plans.

20. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

It appears my iPad Mini with Retina Display has shipped. It's a Slate Gray 32GB model. The device said shipping soon when I ordered it, which was weird since it was supposed to be backordered for 6-8 weeks, but I went with it.

My delivery date said 12/9 from the beginning even when the order status switched to backorder. Well I've got the tracking number and all so this seems to be legit.

Here's to hoping the folks still waiting for theirs to ship get info soon.