T-Mobile Iphone 4G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snoopy07, May 4, 2010.

1. snoopy07 macrumors member

With all the jailbrake iphones running on T-Mobile network and now also the Ipad running on the T-mobile network, the best for apple would be to make a deal with T-Mobile and get the Iphone running on there network. This move would slow down the jailbrakes and increase Iphone sales. Why be stuck with on carrier when you can have your greatest invention running free all over the nation. Any opinions on this...

:apple: T-Mobile Iphone 4G a WIN WIN for Apple :apple:

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

wouldn't slow down jailbreaks at all. Maybe slow down unlocking a little (you must remember there are other countries that do not get the iPhone).

3. snoopy07 thread starter macrumors member

your right, I will slow down the unlocking, I did not use the proper term.

4. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

While i could definitely see this happening, it won't be without cost to Apple. Even though AT&T and T-Mobile are both GSM and use compatible voice frequencies, they do use different data frequencies and the iPhone currently doesn't include support for T-Mobile's 3G data frequencies. If they are going to officially support T-Mobile, then edge data won't cut it. And I can't see Apple wanting to confuse customers by having two different models in the same country. That means they would need to use a 3G chip that supports both ATT and T-Mobile data frequencies. If their current chips can't do that, then they need to change the hardware. If Gizmodo's pictures showed us anything, its that the v4 iPhone looks to have a radical hardware change, so it is possible that has happened already. If Apple could unify their chipset into one that supports all voice and data frequencies of all their partner service providers worldwide and make a single phone that works everywhere it could save them money in the long run.

5. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

6. snoopy07 thread starter macrumors member

not worth the trouble for Apple. Do you think that having the iphone on all US carriers and breaking record sales be a trouble for apple. Right now verizon, t-mobile and sprint would love the have the revenue that At&t has gotten from the Iphone. Lets be honest at&t without the iphone would not be where its at. Just my impression, could be wrong.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Apple would have to design and manufacture two additional phones to accomodate T-Mobile US (which uses non-standard 3G frequencies) and CDMA carriers. I do not think that Apple has no desire to desire and build different versions of the iPhone.

8. FoxMcWeezer macrumors regular

This is an ignorant statement posted only as an attempt to appear informed.

Of course it would slow jailbreaks down. A lot of people have jailbroken iPhones because they need to have it unlocked for use on their carrier.

9. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Jailbraking and unlocking are two different and independent things. You can jailbreak your phone to run unapproved software no matter what carrier you are on. So while this would eliminate unlocking, it will do nothing to change why people jailbreak.

10. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Nope buddy T-Mobile has to wait their turn, Verizon is up next.

11. snoopy07 thread starter macrumors member

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So you can unlock it without Jailbreaking?

13. profets macrumors 601

Just add AWS/1700 band

I think at one point Apple will just increase the # of 3G bands in the iPhone. It's currently tri-band but I would guess that maybe for 2011 they'll change it to quad or penta-band (850/1700/1900/2100 or 850/900/1700/1900/2100). They've already done a good job with tri-band 3G and being able to run on many carriers worldwide. Adding the additional bands will allow more carriers in the US & Canada and improve reception for Europe/Asia carriers that have been using 900 band as well as 2100.

14. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Wrong. Jailbreaking (not jailbraking as you call it) may be independent of unlocking, but unlocking is not independent of jailbreaking. You have to jailbreak in order to unlock. I'd venture a guess that 10-15% of jailbreakers do so to use the phone on T-Mobile. They use the jailbreak features because they may as well, since it's there. They are the people that, if the phone was available on contract with T-Mobile, wouldn't jailbreak.

But, if Apple sells the phone on contract with T-Mobile, you'll have millions more iPhone users out there, so it would most likely increase the number of jailbroken iPhones while reducing the total percentage of jailbroken iPhones.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

All carriers will eventually migrate to micro-sims because the manufacturers will do so. It means nothing about support for an iPhone or iPad.

16. snoopy07 thread starter macrumors member

with carriers migrating to micro sim, they might migrate their network to be compatible with the iphone. Soon we will have LTE and then we may have an Iphone LTE.

17. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

They're not "migrating their network" (I think you mean changing the radio frequency their 3G network operates on) just because they're putting out a micro-SIM. It's essentially the same exact thing as the larger SIM, with a couple new features. And all it does is authenticate the phone in their system, that it has an account and is valid to be used. The SIM has nothing to do with network frequency used.

18. FoxMcWeezer macrumors regular

Really? Jailbreaking and unlocking are two different things? Do you think I'm some kind of stupid noob who doesn't know what those two things are? Listen to what your brainless head is telling you. IF PEOPLE DON'T NEED THE PHONE UNLOCKED, A LOT OF PEOPLE WON'T JAILBREAK IT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE UNLOCKED.

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Upgrading to micro-sim means nothing more than updating to the latest technology. SIM tech has progressed over the years and this is the next iteration. That's it...nothing more. There is nothing else you should assume from that.

Lots of people live outside the US. And outside the US they use cell phones. A lot of them even use the iPhone. In fact, many of them buy iPhones, Jailbreak, then unlock them to use outside the US. :rolleyes:

So yeah...a T-Mobile iPhone might reduce by a very small amount the number of people that jailbreak just to unlock, but that number won't be significant. Not enough to be a motivator for Apple to provide the phone on T-Mobile.

You know what would motivate Apple? Money. A large subscriber base to sell their product to. (Esp since the AT&T user base will eventually be saturated with iPhones and sales to AT&T users will slow...if they haven't already.)

20. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

How is it an ignorant statement?
    If apple was to sell a T-Mobile iPhone that ONLY applies to the USA! As I said, the USA is NOT the only country in the world.

If any thing, you are the ignorant one to think that only americans who want to use t-mobile unlock their phone.
    There are MANY countries in the world that run on standard GSM networks that do not get iPhones. Just because one country is added to the list it doesn't mean every one else will stop unlocking!

Your post just screams of the typical american stereotype, thinking that they are the only ones on this planet. :rolleyes:

Also, not every one jail breaks their phones for unlock. There are quite a few users who jailbreak for the added features.
    2G users often jailbreak for MMS support - Not unlocking.
    Many jail break users get apps like PDA.net because their official carrier does not allow tetherin... NOT unlocking.
    Many jailbreak users like the other apps that apple doesn't approve of-- NOT Unlocking,
    Many Many users like the themes and customization options that are not there by default- NOT Unlocking.
    -Many users like the fact that they can change their text mesage tones - NOT unlocking.

As you can see there is more than 1 reason to jailbreak.

YES, to unlock you must jailbreak... Or just buy a factory unlocked phone. But that doesn't mean every iPhone user that has jailbroken their phone also unlock.
    If that was the case, why do the developers release jailbreaks for firmwares that update the baseband and not offer an unlock solution?!

Yep.. I am the ignorant one....:rolleyes:

21. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

increase sales? how so? don't jailbreakers and unlockers still have to BUY the phone?

22. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

True, but for all the non-jailbreakers and non-unlockers who don't buy an iphone to do this. There's plenty of people out there who would purchase if the phone was carried by T-mobile. That would increase sales.