Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Looking at some of these "buy back" sites (like Gazelle, eleGreen, etc), I notice that if you select T-Mobile as the carrier then they are offering a good $60-$80 less than if you select AT&T or Unlocked as the carrier.

Does anyone have any idea as to why it is worth significantly less? If anything, I would think the T-Mobile iPhone 5 (with the extra support for AWS/1700mhz band) would be MORE desirable since you can unlock these days without too much hassle and you can take the iPhone to AT&T's network without any problems. :confused:

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas or input?

Thanks!

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
I don't know, maybe because unlocking is more expensive than at&t? I am just guessing

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I noticed the AT&T phone on Gazelle says unlocked but for T-mobile no unlock is mentioned. So a discounted T-mobile phone locked can only be used on the T-mobile network.
Looking at some of these "buy back" sites (like Gazelle, eleGreen, etc), I notice that if you select T-Mobile as the carrier then they are offering a good $60-$80 less than if you select AT&T or Unlocked as the carrier.

Does anyone have any idea as to why it is worth significantly less? If anything, I would think the T-Mobile iPhone 5 (with the extra support for AWS/1700mhz band) would be MORE desirable since you can unlock these days without too much hassle and you can take the iPhone to AT&T's network without any problems. :confused:

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas or input?

Thanks!

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
AT&T iPhone is easily unlocked so its selling for more than any other model. The Verizon one is unlocked out of the box so it's resale value is also very high.

The Tmobile one can be unlocked but it's more difficult and expensive than AT&T so it's not worth as much

And of course the Sprint model is the least valuable as usual because it cannot be unlocked for use on domestic GSM networks.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
it will be like verizon or unlocked at&t. In my zone they go on craigslist for 400$

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
Agreed, but a quick browse through eBay makes me believe the iPhone 5 isn't re-selling as high as previous iPhones once did.

I managed to sell my unlocked white 16GB at&t version for $495 in about 30 minutes back in June. They were going for $500-$540 ish back then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.