Carrier T-Mobile iPhone 7 work with at&t?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevjen888, Jul 5, 2017.

1. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

im looking at this used iPhone 7 plus, it is a T-Mobile model purchased from Apple Store, and it was paid in full when purchased according to the seller. Does this mean the phone is factory unlocked by Apple and can be used on at&t? The seller will look for the receipt, in case he can't find it, is inserting my at&t SIM card enough to verify its indeed unlocked?

2. gmillz22 macrumors 6502

Yes and yes. However, without proof of purchase, I wouldn’t give that deal a second thought. Short of it possibly being a stolen device, if you ever ran into activation lock you’d be up the creek. Apple can reset it for you (happened to my lady several times), but they require proof of purchase.

3. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502

^^^ thanks for the warning, i do have to rethink this purchase now.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

From the description it sounds like it's unlocked.
    But stick your AT&T sim inside and test it out by making a quick call.

5. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

If it was bought from the Apple Store as the T-Mobile version then you know it was paid for in full.

Of course him just telling you it's a T-Mobile version bought from Apple really isn't good enough in my eyes. I say that because T-Mobile sales the same version and it is LOCKED to T-Mobile.

As AJ said though if you pop in your at&t sim and it works then you're most likely good because it WOULD mean it was PAID in FULL at the Apple Store.

A regular T-Mobile iPhone 7 Plus wouldn't work in AT&T without an unlock
    --- Post Merged, Jul 8, 2017 ---
    Yeah I do agree with you in a sense, but if the phone is iCloud free when he picks it up how would he run into Activation lock?

Unless I'm confusing what you're saying maybe?

6. gmillz22 macrumors 6502

No, you’re not confusing what I’m saying. However, my lady ran into that issue. She was the only owner of the phone. Cleared it out completely (iCloud and App Store) and restored the device to default. When she went to proceed, the phone was activation locked to an email that belonged to neither one of us. Was quite the pickle considering no one else ever signed into her phone. Same thing happened to my own phone when I had the 6S+.

7. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Wow I see now. That’s absolutely odd and weird...

So it’s very possible then...