Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RubberShoes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Here's my situation:

I have a sidekick 3 that I recently got a couple months ago, in clean shape except for normal ware and 2 scratches on the bottom. But after using it for these months, it's just quite not my kind of phone...

So I'm eyeing an iPhone (what a beauty :D)

However I refuse to use at&t after some bad past experiences...(involving a LOT of money)

So, I want to sell my T-mobile sidekick 3 (contact me if you're interested) for around 175 dollars with original box and everything, the thing is practically new.

Anyway, and then buy an iphone

by the time I get to this I'll be hard pressed to find an iphone with 1.1.1 installed, most likely it will have 1.1.2

So, what would be the most practical way to unlock an iphone to work with a t-mobile SIM?

Whether that includes unlocking and/or downgrading firmware, I will do anything to get this working...

So, any ideas on the best way to do this?

BTW: would I have to jailbreak it?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it

RubberShoes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
and...

and I know the sidekick/T-mobile also uses EDGE

can an unlocked iphone with t-mobile use the EDGE network? I have the unlimited data package so I'm not worried about costs...

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
well ok if you can even unlock the phone that would be great. The new iphones that are currently being sold at apple or att are not unlockable. THey have a new bootloader that makes them unlockable but if you get your hands on a iphone that was sold earlier than nov 9 then you can unlock. Look up iphonesimfree 60 bucks but hey they are worth it. So far no unlocking on new iphones and u can use your edge plan just have to tweak the settings a little bit and you can get it working :D

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Keep your eye out at iphone.unlock.no...I am sure the 1.1.2 Phones will be unlocked pretty soon, considering the whole Germany and France thing. And iphone.unlock.no managed to get it working even when people had difficulties with other methods of unlocking with 1.1.1.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
and I know the sidekick/T-mobile also uses EDGE

can an unlocked iphone with t-mobile use the EDGE network? I have the unlimited data package so I'm not worried about costs...

yes with the BlackBerry plan, I don't think you can with the Sidekick plan, as Sidekicks use a proprietary Danger protocol.

RubberShoes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Re:

Does anybody know to do configure or get around the Danger protocol?

I'm pretty much waiting now until an unlock/jailbreak for 1.1.2...but until then I'm trying to figure out everything else...

What's the difference between Danger's EDGE and T-Mobile's EDGE on other phones?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.