Carrier T-Mobile JOD - early payoff too good to be true?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macwick, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Macwick macrumors regular

What am I missing here.

I just ordered an iPhone 6s 64GB from T-Mobile today through their JOD program. Details:

$99.00 down
    $19/month x 18 months
    $182 buyback after 18 months
    Total cost of ownership: $623 (~$127 off retail price)

No surprise there - everyone knows the JOD price is a decent discount to keep you w/ T-Mobile for 18 months.

But here's the surprising part - I asked the customer service rep if I could 'pay off the phone early'. He said sure, you can pay off the remaining lease payments + buyback at any time.

So - next month I could pay it off and I'll own an unlocked iPhone 6s for $623? What am I missing.

Has anyone else heard that early payoff is an option or was this rep mistaken?

2. invisibleshoes, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015

invisibleshoes macrumors regular

You forgot tax if I'm not mistaken, but I also think the payoff any time is too good to be true.

3. Macwick thread starter macrumors regular

True but tax is the same in both scenarios so I didn't include it.

4. invisibleshoes macrumors regular

Also there's an exclusion that the phone has to be active on a line for 30-90 days.

5. invisibleshoes macrumors regular

Actually, wait a minute. I thought they apply a $7/month credit to your bill (they do not give you the discount straight up). In which case that makes it more than $623, if you decide to buy it out next month. Do I have my math right?

6. Macwick thread starter macrumors regular

I'm including the $7/month credit in my numbers (the monthly payment is $26/month - $7 credit).

7. invisibleshoes macrumors regular

I'm not sure where you reside so I'm just gonna calculate with CA tax rates (7.5%)
    Retail price of $750+$56.00(tax) is $806

First month credit $806 - $7 = $799** This is the amount of your payoff

You haven't gone through all the months yet

8. Macwick thread starter macrumors regular

You might be on to something here. I bet if you payoff early, you lose that discount on all remaining months. And that discount is the exact same as the savings on the phone (7*18 = $126).

Oh well, still a good deal if you stick with T-Mobile for any period of time.

9. invisibleshoes macrumors regular

Yeah, you have to stick it out with the lease in order to get the discount. Either way, a good deal. About $100 off retail.

10. Macwick thread starter macrumors regular

Makes sense. Well, perfectly happy w/ T-Mobile (with the exception of coverage). Hopefully the new band 12 will make a big difference there.