Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Good News, You can change out once phone every month vs the 3 times a year limit. Starts in August 2018

Bad News, Most phones(even base models) will now require a down payment, and $20 upgrade fee.

Depending on the down payment costs, I don't know if I I'm going to stay on JOD when it changes. Most likely I will though, cause I don't switch out phones that often. I guess this sucks for those that want to switch out on a regular basis.

http://www.tmonews.com/2017/08/t-mobile-jump-on-demand-down-payment-base-model-phones-2018/

Hot on the heels of news that T-Mobile was tweaking JUMP! On Demand to allow upgrades every 30 days, news of more JOD changes have surfaced.

T-Mobile says that starting August 2018, base model phones will no longer be $0 down with JUMP! On Demand. For example, right now the Galaxy S8 is $0 down and $33 per month with JOD while the 32GB iPhone 7 is $0 down and $27 per month. Next year, these base model smartphones will no longer be $0 down.

In addition to this down payment, T-Mobile says that customers upgrading in supported channels will need to pay an upgrade support charge. “$25 SIM starter kit or, in stores & on customer service calls, $20 upgrade support charge may be required,” reads the fine print on T-Mo’s website.

T-Mobile points to the “the rising costs of superphones” as the reason for these JUMP! On Demand changes.

While some folks are used to making down payments on JOD smartphones because they like to get extra memory, the news that base model phones will eventually require down payments is sure to upset some customers. The good news is that at least T-Mobile has given a one year heads-up about these changes, so JOD customers have some time to figure out whether or not they’ll be changing plans and, if so, what they’re going to switch to.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Bad bad news.......JoD is dead for flagship phones in TMO stores....they will NOT open a new JoD line except for the few low end phones. I went to 3 TMO corp stores today and they all told me the same thing. Maybe customer service will open a new JoD line for a flagship phone but the stores have instructions to not do it.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Bad bad news.......JoD is dead for flagship phones in TMO stores....they will NOT open a new JoD line except for the few low end phones. I went to 3 TMO corp stores today and they all told me the same thing. Maybe customer service will open a new JoD line for a flagship phone but the stores have instructions to not do it.

Stores were sketchy about opening new JOD accounts for months already. There's been speculation that some type of change was coming. Good luck trying to get JOD over the phone, T-mobile CS is usually nicer vs in-store employees.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Yeah, JOD is going to get expensive. T-mobile will charge $25 for the sim, $20 for the "support charge" (supposedly to help set up phone, please), plus the down payment. And yes, now there are now lower end phones. However, t-mobile will get a lot more cash upfront.

For me, t-mobile's been worth it. 2 years ago, I left AT&T (after 9 years). The price reduction was very substantial. Too, I've added lines and friends to my plan (this is a great way to help pay for your plan). Currently, I've got 7 phone lines (3 have been free) and 5 friends. Plus, I've got 2 iPad Pro lines. So far, the coverage is pretty good. In some remote areas, it's not as good as Verizon.

With the upcoming Note 8 and iPhone 8 (name?), 7s and 7s plus, we'll see how the JOD works. It could be at a high cost. Waiting a while could be beneficial. However, you'll probably miss out on some good promos, too. T-mobile has paid for Netflix for 2 years. Also, I've gotten 2 VR headsets (that I've sold) and miscellaneous items, as well.

Stores were sketchy about opening new JOD accounts for months already. There's been speculation that some type of change was coming. Good luck trying to get JOD over the phone, T-mobile CS is usually nicer vs in-store employees.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Yeah, JOD is going to get expensive. T-mobile will charge $25 for the sim, $20 for the "support charge" (supposedly to help set up phone, please), plus the down payment. And yes, now there are now lower end phones. However, t-mobile will get a lot more cash upfront.

For me, t-mobile's been worth it. 2 years ago, I left AT&T (after 9 years). The price reduction was very substantial. Too, I've added lines and friends to my plan (this is a great way to help pay for your plan). Currently, I've got 7 phone lines (3 have been free) and 5 friends. Plus, I've got 2 iPad Pro lines. So far, the coverage is pretty good. In some remote areas, it's not as good as Verizon.

With the upcoming Note 8 and iPhone 8 (name?), 7s and 7s plus, we'll see how the JOD works. It could be at a high cost. Waiting a while could be beneficial. However, you'll probably miss out on some good promos, too. T-mobile has paid for Netflix for 2 years. Also, I've gotten 2 VR headsets (that I've sold) and miscellaneous items, as well.

I'm wondering if I could get the $25 sim fee waived, by telling CS not to include it cause I'm just going to just swap the sim I already have? I guess I'll find out with the Note 8 pre-order.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
They are going to lose customers over this. JoD was the only reason I was on TMO. I have 2 lines on VZW already and will slowly move back to them. VZW has better coverage and signal indoors and now their plans are the same as TMO. TMO is shooting them selves in the foot with making JoD too expensive to use now.

shootinfoot.jpg

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I'm wondering if I could get the $25 sim fee waived, by telling CS not to include it cause I'm just going to just swap the sim I already have? I guess I'll find out with the Note 8 pre-order.

Give it a try. Unfortunately, they are a lot less apt to do this, lately.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Wont happen, unless the rep pays the $25 sim starter kit fee themselves.
[doublepost=1502685153][/doublepost]
They are going to lose customers over this. JoD was the only reason I was on TMO. I have 2 lines on VZW already and will slowly move back to them. VZW has better coverage and signal indoors and now their plans are the same as TMO. TMO is shooting them selves in the foot with making JoD too expensive to use now.

View attachment 712665
Actually, the stats show we are more likely to gain customers. Regardless of credit class or history, everyone can get one of the 5 mid-tier phones absolutely free out the door. Only thing they pay for is the SIM starter kit.

High end phones aren't eligible for this for obvious reasons. Needless to say, with all the BOGO offers going on for Samsung, LG and Apple, we aren't struggling to sell phones or gain customers.
[doublepost=1502685270][/doublepost]
Bad News, Most phones(even base models) will now require a down payment, and $20 upgrade fee.
That doesn't happen until August 2018

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
That's what I told them in the 3 Corp stores I went to. They said it was up to the stores and their managers. The mangers were told no more JoD

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
That's what I told them in the 3 Corp stores I went to. They said it was up to the stores and their managers. The mangers were told no more JoD

JoD is tougher to set up in store even before these changes. I always recommend the phone set up. I read on Reddit people still use that loophole to return an old JoD device to get out of JoD.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Wait, the down payment is non refundable?
Incorrect, at least with a retail store (not a corporate store). If you buy an iPhone for example and are required to put money down (on top of taxes and sim starter kit or upgrade support charge), you will get that money back if you return it within 14 days (minus the restock fee). Unless it is defective, then you receive all your money back.

yitzmich

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2015
JoD is tougher to set up in store even before these changes. I always recommend the phone set up. I read on Reddit people still use that loophole to return an old JoD device to get out of JoD.
What is the way to get out of jump on demand? I currently have it but thinking about getting rid of it.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Incorrect, at least with a retail store (not a corporate store). If you buy an iPhone for example and are required to put money down (on top of taxes and sim starter kit or upgrade support charge), you will get that money back if you return it within 14 days (minus the restock fee). Unless it is defective, then you receive all your money back.

It wasn't a statement, hence the question mark. But just to elaborate, so after 14 days you lose the deposit even if you are on JOD?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
After 14 days, the phone is yours and there is no refund.
With JOD, you just turn the phone in and get a new one. No money involved.

That's what I'm confused about, it seems there is some kind of "deposit" for JOD. What's the deposit amount, is it a percentage of the cost? So far it seems you pay taxes on the full amount, a deposit, activation fee, and sim kit fee right? So on a $700 S8+ what would those fees total up?

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Actually, the stats show we are more likely to gain customers. Regardless of credit class or history, everyone can get one of the 5 mid-tier phones absolutely free out the door. Only thing they pay for is the SIM starter kit.

Since I already have a sim, why do I have to pay for a sim starter kit? Also, the $20 support charge is ridiculous. Never have I had a rep help me set up my phone.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
just another way the "uncarrier" is actually still just a "carrier"... :rolleyes:
More and more TMO is being uncarrier now that they are gaining more subscribers.
They are slowly making JoD expensive and hard to use to get people to move away from it altogether.
JoD was the reason i switched from VZW in the first place. Might be time to re think my carrier choices.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Since I already have a sim, why do I have to pay for a sim starter kit? Also, the $20 support charge is ridiculous. Never have I had a rep help me set up my phone.
Nothing that I say will justify the cost in your mind, so I'm not going to try. Most people find this charge unacceptable for EVERY carrier.

What I can tell you is that, if t-mobile reps are not helping you to set up your new phone or transfer all your data from one phone to the next, then talk to the manager. It is every reps responsibility to provide what is called a Magenta Glove Moment for every customer. This means doing everything possible to ensure you as the customer are given everything needed. That includes setting up your new phone.
[doublepost=1502904906][/doublepost]One thing you guys may not know is that T-Mobile spent 8 billion this year to acquire low band 600mhz freq spectrum. Normally, it takes years to roll out. T-mobile is already rolling it out and just lit up the first tower. There won't be a single city or highway not covered by the time the rollout is finished in 2020. Another reason this is significant. The new 600mhz transmitters are already 5G compatible, so when the 5G rules are finalized next year, T-Mobile will have the first nationwide 5G compatible network.

This does cost a lot of money to do, so I can see why some pricing is going up on certain high profit phones. But at the same time, have JOD for mid-tier phones that are literally free out the door, can't be dismissed as not uncarrier.

*** Disclosure: I own stock in T-Mobile and a manager for a T-Mobile store. I am biased towards the company.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Nothing that I say will justify the cost in your mind, so I'm not going to try. Most people find this charge unacceptable for EVERY carrier.

What I can tell you is that, if t-mobile reps are not helping you to set up your new phone or transfer all your data from one phone to the next, then talk to the manager. It is every reps responsibility to provide what is called a Magenta Glove Moment for every customer. This means doing everything possible to ensure you as the customer are given everything needed. That includes setting up your new phone.

*** Disclosure: I own stock in T-Mobile and a manager for a T-Mobile store. I am biased towards the company.

You are a loyal employee, I'll give you that.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I keep my phones for a while so i dont need JOD. Waste of money for me. Ive had my GS7 since March or April 2016 and im not real interested in the GS8 til the price goes down and even then, my bill is about to go down $27 down to $138, and that is more attractive right now.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
That's what I'm confused about, it seems there is some kind of "deposit" for JOD. What's the deposit amount, is it a percentage of the cost? So far it seems you pay taxes on the full amount, a deposit, activation fee, and sim kit fee right? So on a $700 S8+ what would those fees total up?

To phrase this another way (I think?) -- if you pay a deposit for a phone on JoD, but swap it for a different phone after the initial 14 day return period (whether it's one month later, two months, etc.); I assume you just end up eating the deposit?

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
[doublepost=1502904906][/doublepost]One thing you guys may not know is that T-Mobile spent 8 billion this year to acquire low band 600mhz freq spectrum. Normally, it takes years to roll out. T-mobile is already rolling it out and just lit up the first tower. There won't be a single city or highway not covered by the time the rollout is finished in 2020. Another reason this is significant. The new 600mhz transmitters are already 5G compatible, so when the 5G rules are finalized next year, T-Mobile will have the first nationwide 5G compatible network.

Just to say, I don't need any help so it's not necessary. It's $21.46 that I have to pay for nothing.

To phrase this another way (I think?) -- if you pay a deposit for a phone on JoD, but swap it for a different phone after the initial 14 day return period (whether it's one month later, two months, etc.); I assume you just end up eating the deposit?

I believe so.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
That's interesting. From TMO's pov, I suppose the deposit discourages phone swapping at the higher prices (as swapping loses TMO money when those $$$ new phones are turned in to be used as refurbs), and forces the customer to have some "skin in the game."

Seems like a more consumer-friendly option would be to simply charge a slightly higher monthly fee, while keeping the deposit at $0 (i.e., divide the $100 or whatever over the loan period). But I don't pretend to be an expert on carrier economics, and the JoD program has treated me well for the past few years. I've never chosen a model that requires a deposit, though (which I believe has traditionally meant models with higher memory configurations, or other upgrades).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.