T-mobile jump worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Draqon2k2, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Draqon2k2 macrumors member

I have a iPhone 6+. Should I stick with t-mobile jump or get apple care?

2. 617aircav Suspended

3. nickprete11 macrumors regular

I went with T-Mobile JUMP, for the theft protection and for the ability to trade in my phone anytime I want and get a new one. It's useful.

4. Draqon2k2 thread starter macrumors member

You have to pay off 50% of the phone right?

5. Xenden macrumors regular

I thought that was just Verizon, and now Verizon wants 60%. They say it is to keep the upgrade once a year at no extra charge the same (12/24 months vs. the new 12/20 months). I think they are just being greedy (they easily could have made the upgrade at no extra charge 10/20 months).

6. nickprete11 macrumors regular

Yep, and Verizon went from $27/month for 24 months to $32.50/month for 20 months. If you want to upgrade once a year, you have already payed 60% of the device off, which is $390. That means when you trade in your device, you're only getting $259, or 40% of the original cost. Horrible deal. Even with T-Mobile now in the marketplace being competitive, Verizon will still find ways to overcharge and gouge customers. Stay classy Verizon!

7. hypno macrumors regular

I added Jump since I have the 6+ and want a thinner case. The only requirements for Jump is the phone can't have a broken screen, water damage, and must turn on when you turn it in.

It seems any phone I always use for a year always sustain some screen scratches or some body dents/scratches over time. So I lose maybe $50+ (sometimes a lot more) in extra depreciation due to phone not being "mint," and then another $50i+ in the eBay/Paypal/Shipping fees to sell my device.

Long story short, I think short of carrying my phone in an annoyingly bulky otter box style case I will most likely sustain depreciation and selling fees that make Jump close enough to a wash that I'd rather just spread the hit across several months and not have to worry about it. Oh, and the loss and theft protection is always a nice bonus.

8. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I have 4 lines on T-Mobile, 2 have Jump and 2 do not. My kids take their phones to school and I like the idea of having lost/theft insurance. Both kids are eligible to Jump but have chosen not to upgrade.

DH and I have AppleCare + so we opted to skip Jump.

9. nickprete11 macrumors regular

Yes, which basically means upgrading once a year with no additional cost. It works out simple. And with the cheaper plans, it's still cheaper than Sprint, AT&T and Verizon, plus you get insurance. Here's an example for a single line, and a family of 4. With iPhone 6's.

Single line: 1GB of high-speed data
    Sprint: 1GB (may incur overage charges if you go over 1GB) $81/month, no upgrade early, insurance
    AT&T: 1GB (may incur overage charges if you go over 1GB) $92.49/month, upgrade in 12 months, insurance
    Verizon: 1GB (may incur overage charges if you go over 1GB) $112.49/month, upgrade in 12 months, insurance
    T-Mobile: (1GB 4G + LTE, unlimited 2G, no overages, insurance) $87.08/month

While T-Mobile may not be the cheapest, they offer international data and text, music streaming without using data, and they don't have overages. And no, I don't work for T-Mobile, I'm just passionate about this stuff :D

10. julesgold macrumors regular

11. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Not unless you signed up before they changed the rule. We signed up for Jump in January and we are told that we can still Jump every 6 months, even though the rules changed.

12. trife macrumors 6502

trife

Applecare+ all day, IMO.

In the end it will be cheaper should you need replacement iPhones. And the process of getting a replacement device is much easier.

The only downside to Applecare+ is that it doesn't cover theft/loss.

Jump! is a convenience thing, IMO. Instead of selling your old device and coming out ahead, Jump! takes away the work/hassle of doing all that. Personally, I'm about the bottom-line, so throwing a phone on eBay is worth it to me if I come out ahead (which I have with all the iPhones I've sold). For example, I sold my 5s a few weeks back--after paying off my EIP balance I had about $100 in my pocket. That was enough to cover the price of a 64 GB 6 on EIP, although I did have to add an extra $48 for tax and shipping.

Also, with Applecare+ you can get a refund when you switch phones. With the 5s I sold, I got $52 back and I had it since launch day in 2013. So that $52 will go towards Applecare+ for the 6, meaning I'll have to come out of pocket $47.

13. Rockies macrumors 6502

Only JUMP! offers peace of mind that your device is protected against loss or damage with Premium Handset Protection and Lookout Mobile Security. Plus they will give you up to 50% of your phone value when you trade it in. I get a new phone every year.

14. macAllen macrumors 6502

macAllen

So why not get best of both worlds?

I used to have the $8/mo. insurance on my iP5 and now I have Jump on my iP6. Im kinda regretting on the Jump service. Heres why.

Many of you said no to Jump because the fact that you have to pay 50% of the phone to be eligible to trade in, and it is better to sell the phone on your own to cover up the EIP balance and have a little extra money to use for the downpayment of the new phone. Since Jump will only give you at most have of the phones price..

I support this because my last phone had the insurance of $8. So it had everything else, like the lost/stolen, broken, ext. but just not the "upgrade anytime" feature.

I sold my iP5 for 350 on craigslist and had a balance of $160 on my EIP, tmobile was going to give me $232 so that leaves me $118 after the payment of the EIP. Thats $118 more than tmobile would have given me.

I used that $118 towards my iP6 128GB. So when all said an done with the downpayment and all the taxes I only paid $150 out of pocket :D

Considering that Tmobile's EIP balance is the same amount no matter what size you get it would be better to go for just the $8 insurance, than jump because if or when I plan to sell my iP6 128GB, you bet it will be mint and you bet its going to be sold for more than $500.

Sure you can have jump do the work for you, but also use that $118 to feed to the corporate company's mouth too.

15. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Given that Applecare does allow prorated refunds, I get both. I have Jump to do my yearly upgrades, and to cover against theft/loss. I have Applecare for everything else, and since I upgrade every year, I'm only paying $50 or less after the prorated refund. It takes me about 10 minutes tops to refund my old Applecare and get new Applecare for my upgraded device. Best of both worlds.

And yes, the old Jump service offered you faster and more frequent upgrades, but I only get one phone per year, it's an iPhone, so a yearly upgrade cycle is all I need.