T-Mobile Launches eSIM Support for Postpaid Customers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile today announced expanded support for the eSIM, which is a feature in the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR.

The carrier previously introduced eSIM support for prepaid plans, but starting today, the eSIM can also be used to activate one of T-Mobile's postpaid plans.

With the new eSIM support, customers who already have a phone plan with one carrier, like AT&T or Verizon, can sign up for a standard postpaid plan with T-Mobile and use services from both carriers simultaneously on a single device.

Combined with the physical nano-SIM slot, the extra eSIM option is useful for iPhone owners who need to access both work and personal numbers on one device, or set up a device with an international number while traveling.

The eSIM can also be used to activate an iPhone with T-Mobile without the need for a physical SIM card.

T-Mobile says that customers interested in activating their iPhones with a postpaid plan via eSIM can visit a T-Mobile store as of today.

Along with T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T offer eSIM support in the United States, but Sprint does not.

Article Link: T-Mobile Launches eSIM Support for Postpaid Customers

lenard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Raleigh NC
The article is just quoting T-Mobile’s press release, which also includes some fine print:

“... $20 assisted or upgrade support charge may be required.”

How “uncarrier”-like :rolleyes:
Free on chat, as I did this morning. Also I think its free at retail store too, those other fees are for Physical sim services...

jimmysalg

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
There is now a link to activate your "SIM" on the online account portal. I would imagine this would work to transfer to the eSIm as well, since you have to read to the rep the same number.....

SoundJudgment

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2017
I ain't touching this eSim system on my current working iphone, even though it has it built in. Next model... all in.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I always forget that the iPhone can do this now. I should have added prepaid Verizon or something to my iPhone for my last trip. I didn't have phone or data for a few days in Colorado. At least the hotel had WiFi. T-Mobile is affordable and good if you live in an area that is well covered, but it sucks in a lot of remote areas that I didn't have problems with Verizon previously.

Reactions: Dissonance

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Have had this active on iPhone Xs/Xs Max since December. It's good that it's "officially" supported now.

I believe calling or going in the store or chat is eventually supposed to incur a $20 fee. They may be waiving this until things get ironed out.

jimmysalg

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Miami
I always forget that the iPhone can do this now. I should have added prepaid Verizon or something to my iPhone for my last trip. I didn't have phone or data for a few days in Colorado. At least the hotel had WiFi. T-Mobile is affordable and good if you live in an area that is well covered, but it sucks in a lot of remote areas that I didn't have problems with Verizon previously.
When you get your eSIM working try pagepluswireless, you can pick up their SIM on amazon for $5 bucks, and then its prepaid, just load it with like $20 and pay per use during dead zones. They run on Verizon network.

michael31986

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2008
What do you have to provide to them on chat to get it done?d do you need to remove your physical Sim first.

Banglazed

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
What do you have to provide to them on chat to get it done?d do you need to remove your physical Sim first.
Start the convo to activate eSIM via chat, give EID, give one-time code via SMS, wait for them to let you know to scan or add the address, remove the physical sim card, then scan the barcode or address below with active WiFi connection. If you chat via social media, $20 fee may apply so make sure to confirm with them first but free via their T-Mobile app chat.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-40796

Last edited:

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
So this is slloowwwly getting support across the board. Don’t know why it’s taking so long?
Because they were trying to figure out how to monetize it... Or were trying to squeeze out as many sim card fees as possible before caving.

Reactions: apolloa