T-Mobile Launches New 4G LTE CellSpot, Free for Simple Choice Customers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile has announced a new 4G LTE CellSpot that broadcasts a low-power 4G LTE signal, providing an average 3,000 square feet of full-bars LTE coverage. The 4G LTE mini-tower works in areas where a broadband internet connection and T-Mobile wireless spectrum are available, for personal and business use.

The 4G LTE CellSpot connects to a broadband internet connection to deliver a "strong, reliable wireless 4G LTE signal for customers with or without an indoor cellular signal on compatible 3G, 4G and LTE handsets for up to 16 callers at one time." T-Mobile says the handheld device even works in some areas without cellular signal.
Introducing the 4G LTE CellSpot!!
https://t.co/ZY17gRjrsp - John Legere (@JohnLegere) November 2, 2015
The new 4G LTE CellSpot launches November 4 and is free for Simple Choice postpaid customers, as long as they remain T-Mobile subscribers, with a refundable $25 deposit and non-return fee. The device provides access to all of T-Mobile's network features, including VoLTE, HD voice, advanced messaging and video calling.

Article Link: T-Mobile Launches New 4G LTE CellSpot, Free for Simple Choice Customers

Psypher

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
This sounds good to me. T-Mobile coverage at my home is pretty terrible. I currently use their Wi-Fi CellSpot router. WiFi calling works great, but sometimes my iPhone 6S Plus doesn't connect to Wi-Fi Calling automatically. This will allow for an extra layer of coverage for when Wi-Fi calling doesn't work.

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
Nice that it is free, I remember when AT&T tried to charge for these, in addition to counting the minutes towards your plan.

Though I do wonder...how far is the broadcast range? Would people in neighboring houses be able to use your LTE cell?

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Nice that it is free, I remember when AT&T tried to charge for these, in addition to counting the minutes towards your plan.

Though I do wonder...how far is the broadcast range? Would people in neighboring houses be able to use your LTE cell?
If the signal from the CellSpot manages to be stronger than their native signal, they'll connect to your CellSpot, essentially using your home Internet connection.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
What's the setup for this device? Is it all wireless or does it need a hardwire connection from my cable modem?

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
No, you're limited to just a couple rooms if there are lots of walls, but up to 3,000 square feet I believe in the open.

What's the setup for this device? Is it all wireless or does it need a hardwire connection from my cable modem?
Looks like it connects to your home broadband.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I'm hoping businesses could adopt these. Wi-Fi Calling is great, but it requires you to have to ask for a Wi-Fi password to authenticate to their hotspot, and that's so 10 years ago when everyone was carrying around various Wi-Fi only devices and before tethering was a thing.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
The 4G LTE mini-tower works in areas where a broadband internet connection and T-Mobile wireless spectrum are available
I wonder why this requirement if it's broadcasting at a low level?

Bacco

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
NYC
If the signal from the CellSpot manages to be stronger than their native signal, they'll connect to your CellSpot, essentially using your home Internet connection.
Unless I'm mistaken, you need to enter the phone numbers for anyone requiring access to the CellSpot. Otherwise, they won't be able to piggyback onto the tower.

matthiasgoodman

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
Chandler, AZ
Cell phones operate in a licensed spectrum, unlike Wi-Fi that is unlicensed. They can only use frequencies they are licensed for in that area. This also prevents you for using it for "free" international roaming because you can't take it with you outside of a T-mobile area.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I bet it's due to some FCC regulation. You walk out of the cellspot's coverage during a E911 call or something, and should be able to hand off to the actual tower, or something to that regard. Or they want to make sure you're not putting it in a beach house in another country over some VPN that makes it think you're back in the States.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Unless I'm mistaken, you need to enter the phone numbers for anyone requiring access to the CellSpot. Otherwise, they won't be able to piggyback onto the tower.
As far as I know, anyone with a T-Mobile device can connect to the CellSpot, unlike AT&T's MicroCell.

Bacco

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
NYC
As far as I know, anyone with a T-Mobile device can connect to the CellSpot, unlike AT&T's MicroCell.
I think you're right. If the service is available for visitors, as their PR notes, it must be open to all T-mobile customers.

AutoUnion39

macrumors 601
Jun 21, 2010
Ironic how TMobile fans spent years stating that an AT&T MicroCell was stupid because their WiFi Calling was superior, but are now changing their mind YET AGAIN because TMobile is bringing out a very similar device...

Hilarious.

Reactions: ohio.emt

neuropsychguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2008
I'm in an area with LTE but only get 1 bar so this would be great for my home but a little unnecessary since I have their Wi-Fi router.

Jandmtv

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
This is great for businesses. But I don't see the point if you are already set up for wifi calling. It's a bit redundant. In what case/situation would my phone use this device over wifi calling in my home? If my broadband is down, then both of wifi calling and this microcell would be down also. Plus, with a 31ft radius, you are pretty much limited to 1 or 2 rooms of coverage with this thing. Wifi calling is much better imho.

Reactions: ohio.emt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.